So my parents dont want me to major in Anthropology Degree at UCLA.?

<p>So my parents do not approve me to major in Anthropology. They tell me as a "boy" I should find a practical degree like accounting or business, or engineering. So I think i will just go to davis or ucsd, with another major. They tell me its not worth it to pay 80,000 dollars for anthropology just for a diploma that says UCLA. The job market is bad they tell me and they tell me I will probably unemployed after. What do you think about this? Why do people think If they graduate from UCLA OR UC Berkeley in any degree that it will be good and that they can get a job?</p>

<p>parents knowledge are limited with thin business, engineering world. There are some good majors out there which haven't discoverer yet by parents. The only reason they are saying that is because they know a lot of people are in business field which make sense since business schools are impacted everywhere. Business, engineering are consider the dominance.</p>

<p>The demand for historians is considerably less than that of.. say an engineer.</p>

<p>I was about to advise you to tell your parents eff off because it is your life, not theirs, but seeing they are the one to pay for your education, you should consider having a formal talk with them about this issue :) </p>

<p>
[quote]
Why do people think If they graduate from UCLA OR UC Berkeley in any degree that it will be good and that they can get a job?

[/quote]

Because some people are brain-narrowed idiots :)</p>

<p>Perhaps the folks here can give you some useful advice: College</a> Life - College Confidential. Good luck!</p>

<p>
[quote]
parents knowledge are limited with thin business, engineering world. There are some good majors out there which haven't discoverer yet by parents. The only reason they are saying that is because they know a lot of people are in business field which make sense since business schools are impacted everywhere. Business, engineering are consider the dominance.

[/quote]

... Improve your English please
and stop giving idiotic advice to people seeking help like "good GPA, solid EC's, no W's" blah blah blah stuff. 3-year-old kids know that. No flame, but know your stuff before posting here, please</p>

<p>^ it's just that simple, and I know my stuff sir :)</p>

<p>Check out this link to see college majors and their unemployment rates, along with income.</p>

<p>Best</a> College Majors for a Career - WSJ.com</p>

<p>Anthropology has 6.9% unemployment with a median income of $40,000. </p>

<p>Good luck dude.</p>

<p>A piece of paper (Bachelor degree) will only allow you to qualify to apply for that position.
Your job interview, connections, people-skills, and overall impressions is the one that pushes you to a secure job one step closer.</p>

<p>can you blame them? now isn't ideally the right time to sightsee through college and major in something that doesn't hold much weight in job markets, when your PARENTS are paying 80k. i am sure they rather spend that money elsewhere, as an investment, not to mention i am sure you're OVER 18, you know how that goes...</p>

<p>Thanks guys, I feel good now that I am going to not apply to UCLA anymore for anthropology! You guys are right, I mean, getting a UCLA Degree in "Any random major" is not a good idea especially in this market. Luckily im applying under more practical majors at other UC's. You guys do make sense. This blog should be a testimony to others to not apply to a Prestigious School, Just to get Any major from there. In the end it's all about Practicality.</p>

<p>thats what i have learned. i went from being a typical bio major looking for dental school, not knowing anything, to being somewhat informed of TAG and finding a new path being a poly sci major still seeking dental school, but i have learned ill be a more well rounded student, as i have learned about the world a lot more than what i knew. i have learned about the perils and issues occuring in the world, which has allowed me to DESIRE to go on many pro-bono dental trips to these countries in despair as i have learned with my poly sci courses, and help them because they are in need.</p>

<p>lol there are a ton of people on this site who apply for the random majors because of the high acceptance rates, not because they actually have an interest in the subject. its pretty sad, but in a few years time they will be working at the local mcdonalds with their art history degrees</p>

<p>What do you want to be when you grow up? Why did you choose Anthropology?</p>

<p>Why did you initially want to apply to the program at UCLA? Was it the name only, or did you have an interest in a specific professor or field?</p>

<p>Do you have any plans for grad school or just looking for a good paying job?</p>

<p>I am an Anthropology Major at UC Berkeley, ask me anything about the major you want.</p>

<p>We could go on forever on employability of individual degrees and school prestige and all of that. None of us really know everything. I remember something a professor once told the class, "You can major in dance or basketweaving and find a good job... you just have to be good at it". He wasn't saying there's a demand for good basketweavers, what he meant was that doing well in school is a good sign to employers. More than likely, you'll have to be patient and work your way up. The bachelor's degree just seems to open up some decent opportunities.</p>

<p>Yeah, those students with 3.0 GPAs that apply for highly unimpacted majors just to get into UCLA do the programs some good damage. Shameless thing to do, honestly. If you ask me, I'd say the low employability of some of the humanities isn't so much that they don't give you the right skills (I'm not saying that's not partly the reason), it's more that we're getting a lot of mediocre students majoring in them b/c they're easy to get into. You can't b<em>ll</em>**** your way into an engineering program, but you could probably do it into a history, english, anthro, philosophy program. It doesn't mean that what you learn in those programs, if you're a serious student, will be useless. </p>

<p>Personally, as a philosophy major, I've probably thought about this stuff as much as the rest of us. Why am I majoring in it? I find it hard to believe that any good philosophy student can't find a good starting job. Never forget who you were before college, it's a time where many of us grow up at an exponential speed. I never did have that one thing I wanted to do when I grew up. I'm thinking about elementary teaching as one option, since I love kids. I never did consider grad school, at least not in my major. I always knew there were more important things I wanted to do at that age.</p>

<p>One thing confuses me. You're in the transfer section. $80,000 for two years at a UC? Last I checked it was nowhere near that.</p>