South Carolina Principal called out for saying leggings on girls above size 2 make them look fat.

Frankly, if a principal has the time/energy to make such comments, she must have so little to do because her HS is the tops academically and has no other remotely serious problems…or she has seriously misplaced priorities.

Her “apology” also makes apparent she’s either not really sorry for her comments and/or she’s inexplicable clueless about the responses she should have expected from such remarks as someone who has the educational qualifications to be HS principal AND an adult with decades of life experience…

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article169368762.html

So many teens face incredible body image problems. Eating disorders are running rampant.

And this woman has the gall to tell theepse size 4 and 6 and 8 and whatever teenagers that they look FAT???

She shouldn’t have said that because talking about fat publicly is a political no-no these days and she’s in a position where she needs to be careful about what she says, but I don’t fault her at all for telling girls that leggings are not pants because they aren’t.

I lost a student once to anorexia. Lisa was 16 when she died.

Some of these kids are so very fragile. Anyone dealing with kids should internalize just how some kids struggle and be aware of the repurcussions of expressing their opinions.

I’ve been to far too many teen funerals to even begin to think that “looking fat” is a topic worthy of a principals atttention.

I agree that leggings are not pants. But I don’t also think this principal is way out of line. I was two sizes larger than I am now (in my late 50’s) when I was in high school, and I had very little self-confidence. If my PRINCIPAL had said that basically anyone who was 5 sizes smaller than me was fat, I would have really had issues. People in positions of authority must - by virtue of that position entrusted to them - think before they speak.

There were a few Assistant Principals/admins and teachers at my HS who had a similar mentality at my public magnet.

All that did for most of us students was to provide more reasons to regard them as “get off my lawn types” and intellectually dim and thus, not take them seriously and drove us to argue back/drive them up the wall.

What’s more funny is that further life experience years after graduation only further confirmed that assessment in our minds. Especially after a few ended up facing similar levels of backlash or worse after we graduated. It’s one of the conversation topics we alums used to bond at informal reunions.

Sometimes, the stereotype of teens knowing more than the adults charged with educating/disciplining them shows the teens were actually right after graduation. :slight_smile:

“(Leggings are) meant to wear underneath a long shirt that covers your heiny, or a long sweater of some type, or a dress. It is not meant to be your actual pants, and if you have a shirt that comes to here, then you are showing everything. Yes, everything,” she allegedly said.

And shes’s right. She was trying to address school dress code and proper attire-- not body shame.
Really–so many need to grow up and hear the truth. Otherwise you land on the “people you see at Wal-Mart” site.
Face it-- you know when “it applies to you” and more often “who it applies to”. No secrets there.

Either they’re allowable or they’re not. How one looks in them is immaterial. And insulting. Just state the dang rules.

And yes, it IS body shaming. As is “people of Walmart.” (Classist too, but that’s another story.)

Called out? No. She should be fired and banned from ever working with children again.

People like this are why eating disorders, low self-esteem, etc are abysmal among young people- especially women. Anyone who can make comments like that has no business being in charge of children.

ETA: You can say “shirts must go to mid-thigh” or whatever but that is leaps and bounds different from “don’t wear leggings because you’re fat.”

Aside from the body shaming -which I think is seriously off for someone who works with teenagers. I also wonder why she had to make it about LOOKS. She may be right -that they don’t look good .But why to we put so much importance on what young women look like? We make it seem like that is the only thing they have to offer of value.?
No one is putting this much emphasis on what boys look like.

“And shes’s right. She was trying to address school dress code and proper attire-- not body shame.”

And she failed miserably. There’s no need to say anyone looks fat in order to address proper attire. State what the rules are and leave it at that.

She’s the boss. If the district has imposed a dress code, its her job to enforce it “Because its the drsss code” is all the reason she needs,

I don’t care what you, or she, or anyone else thinks of leggings. It’s absolutely not the issue.

If it’s an district dress code, she enforces it. If it’s her personal opinion, then she keeps her mouth shut and lets parents parent, or sh works to change the dress code.

The fact that she chose to make this about looking fat…to a bunch of teenage girls no less, blows my mind. Has she never heard of eating disorders??? Anyone who has spent any time in a classroom with this age group should absolutely know better.

FWIW, I had two male teachers, one in high school, and one in college that well were endowed with private parts that made them look like they had a long roll of half dollars hanging down one side of their crotch. Why are women the only ones who have to camouflage their natural curves and body form? I’ve seen plenty of women in tight pants and I’ve never wanted to erase any of those sights from my memory - but I sure would like to erase the images of those two teachers from my brain.

I also think these uniforms are way more inappropriate than any pair of leggings any female has ever worn.

http://worldofwonder.net/canadianbirdwatching-this-rowing-team-was-on-full-display-at-torontos-pam-am-games/

I realize these uniforms are not what a typical male student would wear. But, when you look at it from the male perspective, it’s apparent that leggings on females are not that revealing at all, with nothing inappropriate being visible (as opposed to these young men in their tight uniforms). IMO if a woman/young lady is covered up from waist to mid thigh, that’s good enough for me and no one should be dictating the type of material her pants are made of - especially since a normal pair of jeans for junior girls can be just as form fitting as leggings.

It was an absolutely wrong thing to say and it says a lot about this woman that she thought it was appropriate. It is not an issue of ‘talking about fat being a political no no’. These are kids and she is an educator. She should know better.

@momofthreeboys

Good to know this is the only reason not to talk about fat publicly.

That’s probably why black or dark colors are commonly used, so that details are less obvious.

Wasn’t there just recently a thread about a high school with a relatively permissive dress code (where leggings are specifically permitted)?

https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/2013661-amazing-new-hs-dress-code-p1.html

“Called out? No. She should be fired and banned from ever working with children again.”

This is the kind of over the top rhetoric which makes this debate laughable. REALLY?

BANNED from ever working with children again? REALLY?
Heck, Project Runway calls out fashion designers for making people look like “hookers”. Get a grip.
There is a time and place for everything.

Honestly…parents today get a lot of blame for not keeping control of their kids or promoting wrong values or etc and etc and etc. A principal says “well, leggings may not be the best fashion choice…” and then she gets FRIED by media?

Yes really.

If you tell children they’re fat, you have zero business ever working with kids.

For crying out loud, high school IS NOT project runway. These kids ARE NOT on a freaking reality show about fashion

“Called out? No. She should be fired and banned from ever working with children again.”

A principal says “well, leggings may not be the best fashion choice…” and then she gets FRIED by media? Get a grip. Is everyone brain dead these days? No one can think for themselves and spineless when someone has an opinion which differs from yours?

This kind of stuff at school (back in MY day…lol…) would be a call to arms. Prove it wrong if it really mattered to anyone. Change the dress code etc.

I think there are plenty more real problems. Nobody needs to answer for “fashion sense”. I doubt that her comment caused anorexia or “body shame” in anyone. And if it did… Grow up. If a single comment has that affect then it’s gonna be a long haul in life.

Go look at current media—go start with your local TV station. Listen to misogynistic lyrics of the tunes your kids listen to. Watch the movies that are on TV. Take a look at video game violence and consider if it doesn’t make a difference in forming young brains.

Your advice to people with eating disorders is to…grow up.

Genius!