space bags

<p>D1 will be moving later this summer by car. Someone suggested space bags to her. I looked on amazon and they come in different sizes. What is the best size for moving clothes and maybe some linens in a sedan. Can you use them with shoes?</p>

<p>I don't think they would work for shoes. Stuff the shoes with socks and undies instead, and put them in an ordinary bag. The space bags work best with things that are full of air: quilts, sweaters, pillows, etc. Get at least an XL for a quilt: sweaters can go in L size. The small sizes aren't that useful (you can only fill the bags about 3/4 of the way without wrecking the ziplock.)</p>

<p>If you do decide to get them, I have seen them at Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond, too. I haven't used them, so I don't know how well they work.</p>

<p>You could always buy a pack at a local retailer, try them...see if they work and then go from there.</p>

<p>Drug stores sell them as well, as does Walmart, Costco, Sam's & many other places. For folks who use them for plane travel, be sure to weigh everything so you stay within the weight limits.</p>

<p>I've used them once or twice, but find them a bit of a humbug when traveling. Getting things from one place to another compactly, it would work. It is especially useful for things that are very fluffy--pillows, blankets, comforters, sweaters. It helps suck the air out of them so they fit in a smaller, space so you can squash more into the same space.</p>

<p>There are a few different styles--some require you to use a vacuum to suck the air out while others just allow you to roll them to get the excess aid out (I prefer the latter--don't need equipment).</p>

<p>My hubby & kids don't like the bags much & don't use them. Prefer not to store things in them for any extended period of time, as prefer to let things air out rather than being squashed in (we did try storing things in them for a while).</p>

<p>We used space bags to transport D's bedding, bath linens and winter clothes when we drove her to school. They were a lifesaver. We bought ours at a Target type store. I would suggest buying a quality product and not over stuffing it. We used a home shop-vac to compress the bags. The downside was we didn't have a vacuum cleaner to compress the bags at the end of the school year. I don't know if the dorm had vacuum cleaners that could compress the space bags. We did however, bring some of those bulky items home mid spring during a weekend visit, so we were still able to get D and all her stuff home at the end of the year.</p>

<p>^If the dorms don't have vacuums to compress the bags, even just sitting on them and manually forcing the air out works to some extent. Not as good as the vacuum, but it works. I find it's useful for storing things over the summer when storage space might be limited.</p>

<p>We bought compression bags in the luggage dept at Target when S was flying to Europe for a semester. No vacuum needed. Just fill the bag, clamp the seal, then roll the bag up tightly from the bottom - most of the air goes out the one-way seal. They weren't expensive either.</p>

<p>They worked well for things like his ski clothes and sweaters - in other words, fluffy things that get smaller if you remove the air. I would think they would be useless for shoes.</p>

<p>I bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond and they work great on packing suitcased on all our vacations. Use one of those 20 percent off coupons and you will get a good buy!</p>