Spring admission?

<p>I was originally on the wait list for a school and just got a letter from them a few days ago saying that even though the freshman class for the fall of 2010 is full, they would still offer me admission for the spring semester. For the fall semester I would go to the college I have already deposited to, and then I guess transfer out a few months later...</p>

<p>Is this worth it? This was my top choice college, but now I think (I hope) I'd be just as happy at the one I'm already in at.</p>

<p>What are the pros and cons of this situation? Would it just be easier and make more sense to transfer out after a full year? Thank you</p>

<p>Many students around here go to the local community college for the fall, live at home, and then transfer in January. Maryland-College Park does the spring admit. Personally, I think it stinks.</p>

<p>If you are happy with the choice you have made, you may want to go there and if you like it, stay. </p>

<p>The school my daughter ended up choosing was not the one she had thought was her first choice, but she did not plan to transfer out. She now loves it and can't imagine that she would like any other place more. Likewise, one of her firends went to the same college with the plan to transfer after a year. He liked it so much, that he is staying too.</p>

<p>I think that part of the trick if you go to the school where you have placed a deposit, is to go thinking you will love it and be happy. If after your first semester (or year) you think you would be happier somewhere else, consider transfering. Good luck.</p>

<p>Ask yourself: Why was it your first choice? Do those things still hold true for you now? Do those attributes outweigh starting 3 months later?</p>

<p>On a different note: would classes you take this Sept be transferable to the other college?</p>


<p>My son was also admitted to his first choice school for spring semester - January of 2011. He absolutely wanted to go to this school and doesn't mind waiting a semester. I liked his second choice school and felt he would be happy there but it was his choice. His counselor suggested that he take classes at our local community college (checking to be sure they would transfer) in the fall semester. Alot of kids take a 'gap' year so we are looking at this as a 'gap semester'. It also gives him a few extra months to work and save some spending money for school. He is planning on taking +-15 hours at the community college so he won't be behind the other kids when he enters in January.</p>

<p>I don't know if I would recommend you going to one school and then transfering to the other mid-year. I don't think I would enjoy fall semester knowing I was leaving - seems like you would just be biding your time. Have you thought about calling a counselor at the 'spring admit' school and asking them what they recommend? </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Some schools who have a Spring admit group offer a study-abroad program of sorts in the Fall. I know one girl who went to Spain with other kids who were in the same boat before starting up at Wash U in the Spring. You might see if the college offers anything like that.</p>