Stafford Loan Question

<p>Currently I am at a CC trying to obtain my A.A. I am an independent receiving a full Pell Grant but my school has completely low balled their numbers on cost of living so my loan amounts are for $108 and some change for my Stafford Loans.</p>

<p>What should I say to the financial aid at my school to take out the maximum loan amounts for my last year here?</p>

<p>For an example, they estimated transportation costs for $800/ANNUALLY(absurd with gas prices)</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>What is the room/board estimate in your COA? That's generally where the bigger numbers are - do they have you listed as living off campus or as living with parents?</p>

<p>Btw, the Stafford loan limit for independent 2nd year students is $10,500 - I would NOT recommend you take the whole thing, even if they would approve it!</p>

<p>Here is a breakdown of what's in my financial report for Spring '10:</p>

<p>Books 600.00
Food 1,238.00
Miscellaneous 450.00
Transportation 455.00
Tuition 1,053.00
Term Total 3,796.00</p>

<p>I really don't know if they have me down as living with my parents or not, my question more or less is how do i go about borrowing more then $108 from my Stafford loans?</p>

<p>Edit-I should also say that I will need more this next semester as I plan on taking 6 classes.</p>

<p>If you're receiving a full Pell grant ($2775/semester) and your cost is $3796/semester, you should have eligibility of $1021 (3796-2775) with the current COA. Your COA is missing the housing component and, if you're living on/off campus but not with parents, you can request they add this to your COA which will increase your maximum loans.</p>

<p>It's not that I live on my own, but my parents require money to live there (not that they want to, but times are tough). I don't think I will need to get this personal with the finance office other then saying my living arrangement expenses have increased?</p>

<p>Not sure...I'm thinking you may have to supply a statement from your parents saying you pay X amount of rent each month. Email your FA office to find out what they would need to increase your COA if you need more than you're currently eligible for. Idk why your eligibility is currently at $108 though - are they giving you other grants or work study?</p>