stanford and top ten

<p>if im not top ten (im number 12) but i have a perfect 4.0 unweighted gpa (4.8 weighted) do i still have a chance to get into stanford?</p>

<p>i know there are a lot of other things they look at, but all of the people who got into stanford at my school were top ten</p>

<p>You definitely still have a chance. It also depends on how big your class is. Your EC's and SAT score are crucial to your application too.</p>

<p>I was 13th in my class when I was admitted, so you definitely have a chance.</p>

<p>firehose what were your sat scores and example of ECs that you did in hs?</p>

<p>Never took the SAT, took the ACT and got a 35. For the SAT subject tests I got and 800 on both physics and math II. My biggest ECs were in boy scouts. I was an eagle scout, and was the "president" (it has a couple of different names depending on what part of the program you are talking about but you get it) of a number of pretty sizable groups within the boy scouts. I also did sports and some other miscellaneous clubs.</p>

<p>As for info about my high school, it was a pretty competitive public high school but nothing ridiculous. I was the only one from my class who got into HYPSM, although there were a significant number of people going to other ivy league schools and other quality institutions. Finally, since I know you are wondering it but your too kind to ask: I am white.</p>

<p>You don't HAVE to be in the top 10, but rather in the top 10 percent. Also, not being in the top 10% doesn't preclude the possibility of admission; there's a lot more to it than rank.</p>

<p>obviously there is no definite line of guaranteed admission or rejection.
simply said, the closer to the top, the better, and the closer to the bottom, the worse.</p>

<p>rank means nothing without context. they have admitted students who are 20/500 and also students who are 20/40, the first example being relatively competitive public high schools and the second being elite private schools. (just examples, not exact).</p>

<p>you can be 7/600 at a relatively uncompetitive (or underserved) high school, but it could mean less than being 30/200 at a mediocre high school.
most of the elite universities take into consideration:
1. rank
2. percentile
3. class size
4. high school demographics & economic background
5. geographical location
and many other factors that all play a role</p>

<p>simply said, ranking in top 10 is not an accurate indicator of very much without context.</p>