Starting to Prep for October 9 LSAT

<p>Hello,</p>

<p>I've just completed my junior year at the University at Buffalo, and my GPA is 3.7, with a Major in Political Science and a minor in History. I decided to take the October LSAT because I wanted to use about 4 months of summer to prep, without any distractions of school. I have no plans to work or do an internship this summer (is this a major flaw?). Also, any feedback regarding my decision to take the October LSAT and to use the summer to prep?</p>

<p>Anyways, I bought the three Power Score Bibles + the one workbook and the latest LSAT practice test. My University has a Kaplan center on-site, so occasionally I go for free sample courses and tests, and I scored a 151 on the test. That's with no practice, the math logic killed me there; I'm rusty.</p>

<p>I plan to work through those books and also get a Power Score tutor. They say that you will know your approximate score based on your practice tests. Does anyone know how much I could expect to improve if I do a few months of intensive self-study coupled with moderate tutoring?</p>

<p>Also, are there any other recommended supplements to increase my score? </p>

<p>I'll also be happy to post my progression and final results with power score, as well as some thoughts about how Power Score works for me so that the community may benefit.</p>

<p>Hi there, I'm in a similar boat with you. I have started to prep for the October 9 LSAT. </p>

<p>I got the Barron's book from the library and read it for about 4 hours prior to taking the practice one at Kaplan and scored a 160. I have a 3.95 GPA. All which is highly irrelevant, but since you mention it...</p>

<p>I think taking the summer to prep and the October test makes a lot of sense. The common thought is that you prep and take the test just once when you are fully prepared rather than a halfhearted trial. I was so caught up with school, I didn't even think about the LSAT in Spring. (I am a sophomore planning to graduate in 3 years... wasn't sure if I was going to pile on minors for 4 years)</p>

<p>I too heard the Powerscore Logic Games Bible is the best study material. I bought it on EBAY. The logic games are the easiest section to improve because once you have mastered the setup, the questions are much easier. The reading comprehension is the hardest to improve from what I hear, but I'm trying Test Krackers Reading Comp guide because that's the only one I could find anywhere that focuses strictly on reading comp.</p>

<p>The common idea is that you can raise your score around 10 points with proper preparation. Some raise it more, some less. </p>

<p>I'd be happy to discuss the powerscore books with you once I get mine. </p>

<p>I realize this post was 13 days ago and this is the first response, but hopefully you haven't given up hope of a response.</p>

<p>Wow I see why everyone speaks so highly of powerscore books. I spent 3 hours with it today and I'm already getting perfect scores on sequence games I was fairly clueless of how to do properly. I went ahead and bought the other two bibles because I was so impressed.</p>

<p>Hi there! Glad us October-test-takers are keeping each other company.</p>

<p>LSU, do you go to Louisiana State then?</p>

<p>Self-intro: I'm a rising junior at Cornell, econ/labor relations major with a 3.9 GPA, currently doing an internship in Asia. I'm taking the LSAT a year early because 1) I want to get it out of the way 2) I'm studying abroad next spring and 3) junior summer internship will probably keep me busy next year. </p>

<p>I never believed in prep classes so I bought the three Powerscore books, a LSAC book, the Barron's Passkey, and most of the past tests that LSAC released. </p>

<p>Good luck everyone and keep us updated on your progress!</p>

<p>Hey there goddess, yes you would be correct. I do go to Louisiana State. </p>

<p>I'll update my studying so far:</p>

<p>The logic games bible was the first book I used. Fantastic stuff, it was explained very well. Now most logic games are very easy, only the particularly difficult ones am I getting any wrong.</p>

<p>I started with the Examkrackers books on logical reasoning and reading comprehension. I felt these were a good basic overview at the concepts, just to get myself familiar with the concepts. They don't go into great detail.</p>

<p>I then started the LR and RC Powerscore Bibles. (Wasn't aware of the RC bible in my last post). Mostly done with the RC and about half way through the logical reasoning. I like both of them, though the RC doesn't give too many groundbreaking tips. I just didn't really get the whole LR arrow diagramming. It just seems to confuse me more than going through the problems in my head.</p>

<p>Been doing about one practice section from real LSAT's a day. About once every 2 weeks, I take a full length LSAT (well the 4 scored sections as that is how they are released). My most recent one, I scored a 171, which I was fairly happy with, and now I hope at the very least I can stay around that score.</p>

<p>Goddess, I've heard the Barron's Passkey book is not well written, so it might not be the best resource, but the official LSAC and Powerscore books are highly regarded, so I think you'll be in good shape with those.</p>

<p>I've heard prep classes are only really useful if you lack the discipline to self study, but if you can't motivate yourself to prepare for arguably the biggest test in your life, well then that seems a bit odd.</p>

<p>Are you interested in Cornell law school or would you like to go elsewhere? Cornell is one I am considering if I score around the mid-upper 160s.</p>

<p>Good luck and I'd love to hear how your studying is going and anything you'd like to share or would like any insight on. Enjoy your semester abroad and your internship.</p>

<p>Hello!</p>

<p>I'm so concerned. I've finally made up my mind and want to take the LSAT's Oct 9th for ED on November. Is two months too little to prep? You all seem to have started a fair 4-5 months ago and study a lot. I intend to study a lot...but I don't know about the timing. Could it be enough time to prep?</p>

<p>It could be. If you can devote maybe 2 hours a day even once the semester starts, then I think it's possible. </p>

<p>The risk is greater though obviously. After 2 months, you should have the method and strategies down, the only problem is maybe you have not taken enough practice tests and your score is more vulnerable to fluctuation. Also you might feel more pressure during studying.</p>

<p>If you have confidence in your own abilities, I'd advise you to go for it. You can always cancel your score if you feel you did not meet your standards.</p>

<p>I know it's like in a rush.. but it's mostly to have them done by ED. </p>

<p>Thanks a lot!</p>