State schools with good studio art?

<p>I am interested in majoring in studio art, and have heard nothing but good things about the departments at small LACs, like Smith, Skidmore, and Bowdoin. However, my family is deterred by their high costs, and as a result, I'm focusing on public schools. Can anyone recommend public colleges with strong studio art programs? So far, I like Uconn (in-state), UNC-Chapel Hill, William and Mary, and Pitt, and all seem to have decent art programs. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with those four schools? Thanks!</p>

<p>My friend's S is a freshman at U of Michigan studying art and is very happy. I think the program combines studio art and classroom study.</p>

<p>UCLA has one of the best studio art programs in the country. But it is very expensive for out of state students.</p>

<p>You need to look in-state. Most OOS publics can cost as much as the privates you mentioned. UNC-CH, however, will met need for OOS students and Pitt offers some merit aid for high scorers. UCLA will cost $50K+/year. UMich will be the same.</p>

<p>*You need to look in-state. Most OOS publics can cost as much as the privates you mentioned. UNC-CH, however, will met need for OOS students and Pitt offers some merit aid for high scorers. UCLA will cost $50K+/year. UMich will be the same. *</p>

<p>Erin's Dad is exactly right. Unless you have high stats (test scores and GPA) or a merit-worthy portfolio, out of state publics are going to cost about as much as privates. </p>

<p>How much will your parents pay?</p>

<p>Is your income low enough that you'd qualify for the aid you'd need at UNC-CH? If not, then that won't work either.</p>

<p>What state are you in?</p>

<p>what are your stats?</p>

<p>how is your portfolio?</p>

<p>a&b, as others have pointed out you won't save a lot with a public if it's out of state. Have your parents used an online calculator to determine how much need based aid you may be eligible for? That would be a good starting point to determine your options.</p>

<p>Merit aid (which is different from need based aid) is also a possibility if you have something that a college wants.</p>

<p>Whether you would prefer the ambiance of a small LAC or a large university is a separate issue.</p>

<p>Are you planning to play ball at college? That could help on the merit part.</p>

<p>I think I should clarify a few things. First off, I am a high school junior, so I'm not applying to schools or making any final decisions yet. I am just starting to make a list of where I might want to look, and my parents want to include a range of tuition costs, esp. because the thought of $50K a year is daunting. I come from a fairly-high income bracket, so I do not expect to get much need aid. I do understand that OOS publics are not cheap either, but $35K for tuition + room and board is still cheaper than $50K. Lastly, I come from CT, and other than UConn, I don't like my public options.</p>

<p>Also, momrath, I just realized theat you asked me that last question because of my SN. No, I do not play baseball, I am female (I believe I mentioned Smith earlier). I am just a very big baseball fan, hence the name :)</p>

<p>My D went to the School of Fine Arts at UCONN and had a very good experience, academically & socially. I think UCONN is a fabulous school and your parents could save money to help you out later if you wanted to go to grad school, buy you a new car etc.<br>
If you have siblings who are also college-bound, money is certainly a consideration, no matter what income bracket! </p>

<p>Go look at US News' rankings for National Public Universities, I thought UCONN was #26 or #27. (I have not looked at USNWR's rankings for quite some time now)</p>

<p>Definitely check out VCU or Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond. Incredible art school. But, you must visit to see if the urban area surroundng the campus of VCU suits you. Some really like it, some are turned off. They pride themselves in the art school, though. US News ranks the School of the Arts at VCU the top public in the country. VCUarts</a> - Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts
Tuition and fees is about 30K per year for OOS.</p>

<p>Good luck to you!</p>

<p>Here's a list of the top schools for fine arts majors:</p>

<p>Top</a> 100 Fine Arts College Ranking in 2010 | U.S. College Rankings</p>

<p>Since you are a junior, start getting your portfolio developed. Submit to Scholastic Art Awards (deadlines are soon for both photo and fine arts submissions!). Submit to any local art competitions too. Keep adding to your list of awards for college apps. next fall. And make sure you get involved in some way during next summer --check out summer programs for portfolio development (and/or college credit) RISD, MICA, etc. You need to have your portfolio ready for submission next fall and it's due well before your application due dates at most schools (especially if applying Early Action or Early Decision). Also, get involved in art in some way within your school. Start an Art club of some sort is there isn't one already (Photo club, art history club, art honors, etc).</p>

<p>You might also want to look at the art scholarships offered at some private colleges. I started this thread in the visual arts forum recently:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/visual-arts-film-majors/1238113-colleges-offer-merit-based-art-scholarships.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/visual-arts-film-majors/1238113-colleges-offer-merit-based-art-scholarships.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>In terms of larger universities, it really depends on your stats. Universities that are stronger in art range from Carnegie Mellon, to UCLA, Boston U, to U Cincinnati...many, many options. Use the College Search feature on CC to see where you are on target to apply next year. And U of Conn. is within top u's for art :). It's a good instate option!</p>