Stay or Transfer to NYU Stern?

<p>I am currently majoring in Econ at UM-Ann Arbor and I'm a sophomore. I have a 3.75 GPA and will be applying to Ross. However, the BBA program is 3 years, while at Stern I can graduate on time. Do you think it would be a wise decision to transfer if I get in? Would Stern definitely be worth it over UM-Econ? I already transfered once and am hesitant about transferring again. Will transferring twice look bad to potential employers?</p>

<p>I already have the pre-requisites for Stern completed - including Accounting, Econ, Math, English etc. By the end of this semester I will have completed 72 credit hours.</p>

<p>Why are you considering transferring again? Perhaps you won't be happy at any school. Don't mean to be caustic but you didn't like Penn State and now you are considering transferring from U-Mich.</p>

<p>I am happy at UMich. I wasn't happy at PSU. However, I am just worried that I might have trouble finding a job/internships if I stick with Econ rather than go to a business school like Stern/Ross which are more heavily recruited by top firms.</p>

<p>You'll find a job doing Econ at UMich as long as you do well. The only difference between you and Stern/Ross kids is that you will probably have to be more assertive in pursuing a job. You're not going to just get picked up. What's the deal with transferring into Ross by the way? Would you be forced to take that extra year?</p>

<p>Yeah. Ross BBA is a 3 year program, and even though I have a ton of business credits (Business statistics, Financial Accounting, Business Information Systems), they won't transfer and I'll have to repeat those classes. However, at Stern I won't have to do that. Also, if I get into Ross, I'm gonna be a sophomore again, which means it'll be tougher to find an internship as I'll be graduating later. My GPA is just about average for firms like CS, UBS, GS, JP Morgan - they require a minimum of 3.6 to apply, and that only gives you the interview. Since Econ is also a harder than most business majors, it will be even tougher for me to maintain a 3.75 by the time I graduate. </p>

<p>Ideally, I would like to stay at Michigan (I've made quite a few friends, like the college town and atmosphere, etc) but career/job wise (which is what I'm worried about most) I'm not sure if its the best decision.</p>

<p>Have you talked to the people at Ross? Because you might not be able to transfer given that you already transferred into LSA. Some schools don't let you transfer internally once you get into the school. I understand your interest in Stern, and I don't blame you for wanting to transfer there from a job stand point and your wanting to take business classes. I would assume that it would not be too great for the fact that you already transferred to UMich.</p>

<p>It is possible to transfer to Ross internally. I know NYU doesn't allow you to transfer to Stern from CAS, but at UM you can transfer from LSA to Ross. That's how most people get into Ross anyway - very few are admitted freshman year. </p>

<p>This is a tough decision.</p>

<p>isnt the acceptance rate for students who are in umich's LSA for transferring to ROSS 30-40 percent? how come thats very few students?</p>

<p>No, I meant considering that you had already transferred into Michigan, is it possible to transfer into Ross. I know people go to Michigan and transfer into Ross, but I don't know if you can go in as a transfer into LSA and then transfer into Ross. NYU does allow CAS people to transfer into Stern, but only the people who were admitted as freshmen. One couldn't transfer into CAS and then into Stern. (It's already hard to that anyways).</p>

<p>Yes, it is possible to do that. When I applied to Michigan, I didn't know the BBA program had changed to 3 years. I realized that after I had applied. Also, a lot of kids that don't get in after freshman year apply after sophomore year.</p>