Student traveling: Memphis TN to Tulsa OK

<p>Hi Parents! I need some expert advise. I'll be going from Memphis, TN to Tulsa, OK. One way ticket is over $500 so I can't afford that. But, one way ticket from St. Louis to Tulsa is only $60 and the flight changes airplane in Memphis. So, can I buy one way ticket from St. Louis to Tulsa and use only the Memphis-Tulsa portion?</p>

<p>Since the plane starts in St. Louis, I would guess this would not work. </p>

<p>If the plane went Mem to Tul to STL, then I would say you could get away with that.</p>

<p>Most airlines have strict rules that prohibit this. You can contact the specific airline & ask but there are typically financial penalties for someone doing this.</p>

<p>I should have included that if you can get a ride to Little Rock with a friend there are cheap flights out of Little Rock on Southwest airlines.</p>

<p>No. If you miss any leg of a flight, the airline will cancel the rest of your ticket. If you fly from A - B - C, if you miss A - B they will cancel B - C.</p>

<p>The only way you can get away with that is dropping off the last part of a ticket ... e.g., you fly from A-B-C and then home from C-B-A, except you get off at B and stay there.</p>

<p>"The only way you can get away with that is dropping off the last part of a ticket ... e.g., you fly from A-B-C and then home from C-B-A, except you get off at B and stay there"</p>

<p>And make darn sure your bags don't get checked...ie get on early enough to fit bags in the overhead compt and that they're small enough. If not, your bags will end up at A.</p>

<p>Also consider SW flights out of Nashville or Birmingham. Though flying out of Little Rock is usually cheap. They have a daily direct flight from STL to Tulsa, might be worth catching a ride up there for the discount.</p>

<p>sometimes a round trip ticket is cheaper than one way... just dont use the return...or if you will need a return pick an approximate date then pay the fee to change it when you know the exact date.</p>

<p>"And make darn sure your bags don't get checked"</p>

<p>Some short hops are flown with planes that have virtually no overhead storage. So, if you're going to try the "I'll buy an A-to-B-to-C ticket and get off at B" make sure there's a plane change at B ... or your carry-on bag might be confiscated at the gate and checked through to C.</p>

<p>There are a lot of ways for the A-B-C ticket and get off at B can go wrong. If you can carry it off you'll save a pile of money. Just have a believable story ready in case the airline gets cranky.</p>

<p>Airlines used to be on the outlook for "fare jumpers" to the point that airline personal were rewarded for reporting them. Don't know if which airlines still do this but would hate to encourage a student to do this if finances are tight.</p>

<p>I'm not quite sure what they could do if they decided you were a 'fare jumper.' I've gotten off before the second leg a couple of times, and have called Delta as a courtesy to let them know that my plans had changed and I wasn't going to be on that flight (after, of course, I had flown the first leg). Both times they thanked me for letting them know.</p>

<p>If you have a bag that fits under the seat, or are in a decent sized airplane that has good overhead storage and you get on early in the process, I can't imagine any reason why you would ever get confronted for not taking the second leg. Should that happen, telling the airline that you aren't feeling well, or had a sinus block would be easy enough. I'm usually pretty moral, but I don't put this in the morality category. The airlines are charging so much money for some routes, it's purely business.</p>

<p>Checking bags is for amateurs anyway.</p>

<p>Or for people needing more than just a few days of clothes. Length of trip matters.</p>