Hello! Holy Cross is one of my top schools, but with Covid, I haven’t been able to get a solid understanding of what the students are like. It’s so important to know what the student body is like to better understand whether or not you’ll fit in, so it has been a little stressful since I don’t have that insight yet. For those who know, are the students very theater/music/arts oriented? Sports oriented? Are they conceited? Inclusive? Do many of them come from prestigious, elite high school? Or public schools? Are there cliques or “mean girls”? I’d love to get an insight on what it’s like to be a student there - the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks so much in advance.
My daughter is a sophomore and has found the environment very friendly and welcoming. She was shy in high school but has blossomed quite a bit on Mount Saint James (yes the campus is a pretty steep hill). Granted, the last two semesters were virtual but her assessment matches my observations. I’m a cynical person by nature but I have to admit the “Men and Women for Others” thing is real.
A few cultural observations (one parent’s view - your mileage may vary):
- Academically hardworking
- Lots and lots of school pride - sports and the college in general
- Not many artsy-quirky types. That’s unfortunate as the student body could use some of that flavor.
- Good involvement in things like acapella, choir, and theatre
- A mix of public, catholic, and private school backgrounds (mostly the two former)
- Minorities are represented but in lesser percentages than in the overall population.
- Many athletes - they seem friendly and respectful - of course they’ll always act like that around a protective dad!
- Moderate party environment. Definitely alcohol but probably not much else.
That sounds wonderful. I can’t thank you enough - you’re response is very throughout and incredibly helpful. I really appreciate your help!!!