Study Abroad in Germany

<p>Looking for a study abroad program in Germany but would like the classes taught in English. Some knowledge of German but don't feel comfortable taking classes in German. Hoping someone has some experience or recommendations of good programs.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>I was in your situation when I first went to Germany...but I did it all in German. It was great. Nothing like studying German in the U.S. After an academic year in Germany I was fluent in German. I still am. </p>

<p>If you can get yourself over the not feeling comfortable part and immerse yourself in German -- you'll find plenty of international students in your classes that are in the same boat -- you will learn a lot more than you can imagine. </p>

<p>If you did an intensive language course at a German school abroad for, say, 6 months...you will probably be able to place out of your German grammar classes when you get back to your U.S. university and be able to take conversation, writing, and other higher level classes.</p>

<p>By the way, 6 months at a German school abroad can cost about 25% of what it costs to study abroad via university programs, unless you go to a public university with some really nice study abroad policies.</p>

<p>If you want classes in English, your best bet is to go through a U.S. university program, especially a faculty-lead program or an "island" program. You won't have to deal much with German that way. On the downside, though, you won't come back with a level of German good enough to be of benefit to you in a professional work setting, but you'll have a great time and it will look good on your resume (unless the company really does need you to be fluent in German).</p>