Submitting a music supplement...

<p>I'm a trumpet player, and trumpet's definitely the extracurricular that occupies most of my time. I've gotten pretty serious with it in the past few years and although I'm not going to make all-state (98/100 at solo festival...so close), I'm still principal chair in regional youth symphony orchestra and stuff like that. So anyway, I thought I would submit a recording to colleges in order to perhaps give my self a small boost, so how does it work? Can I just use my tape recorder or should I ask my teacher if I can use all of his fancy recording technology? Do I need an accompaniment? How long should it be? I thought I would play the first two movements of the hummel trumpet concerto, which together amount to about 8 minutes, is that two long? I'm not going to major in music, but I don't want to give it up when I go to college either. </p>

<p>This is a little off topic but how much are trumpet players represented in applicant pools? I know that violinists are everywhere, but what about trumpet? i never see anyone on this site mention that they play the trumpet in their Chances posts or anything...</p>

<p>-- good recording equipment will really help.
--accompaniment would also be good, as it shows a more thorough preparation and understanding.
good luck with Hummel! That's a tough piece.</p>

<p>Dear jmarsh,</p>

<p>Do use good recording equipment, if at all possible. It can mean the difference between a scholarship and a tape in the trash. My son knows. He and a friend had to make a tape at school together when the band director forgot to show up. He sent that tape to Indiana University, among others. He heard that the first trumpet teacher to hear it was ready to throw it out. Fortunately for him, the top trumpet teacher listened and asked himself whether it was crummy trumpet playing or just a bad tape. The guy was nice enough to call my son's private teachers to ask their opinions. The short of it: my son was accepted. If it had been up to the first teacher, however, he would not have been. A good tape is very important!</p>

<p>Hummel would be great, I think. It may be good to put a couple different types of things to give an idea of your ability in different areas. If you are applying to a music school, even within a university, they will have a page online telling exactly what they want in a tape. and no, you do not need an accompanist.</p>

<p>Trumpet players are not as common as violin players, but there are still a number of them around. My son just finished visiting four colleges to decide where to go to study trumpet, so if you want any information on Lawrence, U of North Texas, U of Northern Colorado (a lesser known school with a growing brass dept.), or Indiana, send me a message.</p>

<p>I'm not planning on studying trumpet, but i will take classes and participate in the music ensembles if everything works out. I don't want to be one of those people who just gives up their instrument when they go to college. </p>

<p>I hope this isn't a dumb question, but should the accompaniment be live or can it be recorded and played in the background? Does it make a big difference? It would be my piano teacher doing it so it's not that big of a deal, but I'd have to pay her another fifteen dollars. </p>

<p>What other types of things shuld I put? I know the first movement would demonstrate a lively, fanfare-esque type of playing, and the second a lyrical, emotional style, do you think I should prepare a jazz piece as well, or would that be occupying their time a little too much?</p>

<p>One last question, if they don't like my playing when I submit the recording, could it potentially be harmful, or would the music director just throw it away and the admissions committee would never know about it?</p>

<p>And thank you fiddlefrog and susantm, you've helped to clear things up.</p>

<p>Well, I hope I can help you out here. The accompaniment should be live, but you should get a recording so you can practice along with it, and when you do it live, it will be close to perfect. I would say there's no big difference, unless one heavily out-sounds the other.</p>

<p>My son didn't have any accompaniment for his tapes, and he was admitted to several schools of music, so I don't think it is necessary. As far as whether it could hurt you, I don't think so. My son submitted a tape to Stanford (where he was waitlisted)--their stated policy was that a tape might help, but would not hurt, you.</p>

<p>I'm trying to remember what my son played. I know it was different for different schools, as some had definite requirements. I think he did a movement of Hindemith's Sonata for Trumpet, Enesco's Legende, a Charlier etude... can't remember what else. Check out a few music school websites, and you will get a good idea about top selections that they like to hear.</p>

<p>in Acing the college admission by hernandez, she says never submit one, unless you're #2 in the nation or something...but i dono. i'd submit one, it wont hurt.</p>

<p>hey, i just had a thread just like this... about my playing the flute...</p>

<p>i made all state once, and district every year, 1st
county honor band, 1st many times..</p>

<p>and Governor's Honors Program....</p>

<p>should i send my recording by myself
or if i'd been in a flute choir, should i send that too?</p>

<p>I would think they would prefer you alone, since you are the one they want to judge, but I couldn't say for sure.</p>

<p>So do you all agree it's necessary to have the accompaniment? I don't exactly no how I'd go about doing that. I need my trumpet teacher's equipment to do it, but he doesn't really have a studio or anything, just a room to give lessons in which is essentially just a home office. I don't know how we'd corrdinate that with my piano teacher.</p>

<p>Haha, I started this thread hoping you people would say it's not necessary to have an accompaniment, thanks a lot guys. </p>

<p>If I didn't have one, and just played the accompaniment on a CD in the background or just didn't haveanything altogether, would this affect their evaluation of my playing?</p>

<p>As I mentioned before, my son did not have an accompaniment with his music, and it didn't seem to hurt him. My suggestion would be to email the music departments of the schools where you would like to apply and ask them what they want. That way you will know for sure.</p>