Suburban Sophmore....Any ideas for how to improve my chances of getting at the Ivies?

<p>I’ve read a bunch of stuff about the competition at the Ivies and I see that people usually have to start really early…I didn’t really try too hard in my Freshman year and the early parts of my sophomore year, even though I still was in the advanced classes, but any suggestions anyone can give on how to improve my chances of getting into a Ivy League school or a good one at least? I’m planning on studying engineering. </p>

<p>Background: Chinese-German (It’s true).
When I was born my family was in poverty and lived in a run down apartment in the city, where rats were all over the place, but then somehow we got lucky and my parents were able to scrounge up the money to move to a suburb about a mile away from the city (even though we have a large mortgage debt and other debts). My parents are now both state-employees, my mom as a computer programmer and my dad as a educational supervisor, pretty good considering about 10 years ago he was a box-lifter at some store, and before that a street-sweeper…both are around 50 years old. My mom’s a immigrant, and my dad was born in Bronx but then lived in Europe for most of his childhood. Chinese Grandpa was imprisoned under Mao’s regime for criticizing Mao’s programs, later escaped and moved here (after my mom). </p>

<p>High School Transcript; (Note; All averages unweighted and class ranks unweighted too, no idea about my class rank but I don’t see how a student with all easy classes and a 100 GPA in em could really compete at any competitive school)</p>

<p>8th Grade (Accelerated Classes):</p>

<p>Math A: 90
Earth Science: 93, Regents Exam: 97
German 1: 97, Proficency Exam: 100</p>

<p>9th Grade:</p>

<p>Math AB: 88, Regents Exam: 95
English Honors: 97
Biology: 86, Regents Exam: 87, SAT II: 630 (I completely bombed this one…hated the teacher)
Global History Honors: 93
German 2: 93
Sports Marketing: 95
Manufacturing Systems: 95</p>

<p>10th Grade: </p>

<p>Math B (Course dropped to Regents instead of Accelerated level): 97/98
German 3: 95/96
English Honors: 98
AP European History: 91/92 (Didn’t recieve AP Grade yet)
Honors Chemistry: 88 (I am sure I did much better on the SAT this year…I got serious about it the past few weeks)
Studio and Art (Required): 91/92</p>

<p>11th Grade:</p>

<p>AP English
Honors Physics
AP American History
Math 12 Honors (Got back up to the highest level again)
Statistics
Principles of Engineering</p>

<ul>
<li> Had to drop German 4 for next year because it conflicted with my AP American History, and couldn’t take AP Computer Science because the class was cancelled. My parents are planning to have me take the Regents next year along with the German Embassy’s language test, and then get into college-level German 5 in 12th.</li>
<li> So far I think I’ve taken every AP course for the sophomore/junior years except for AP Computer science because it keeps getting cancelled. </li>
</ul>

<p>Extracurricular (One’s that say 11th mean I’ve been elected for those positions next year):

  • So far over 100 hours volunteering
  • Secretary of SIHC (Alternate Medical Club version) (10th Grade) (competition for vice presidency/copresidency in summer)
  • Model UN Member (9TH, 10TH ), Vice President (11th)
  • Student Government Member (9th, 10th), Vice President (11th)
  • Amnesty International Member (10th), Secretary (11th)
  • Columnist for High School Newspaper (9th, 10th)
  • Math League member (9th, 10th)
  • Founded a group that plays Musical for Elders (10th)
  • Piano player since a while, no formal recognition besides lessons by a local piano dealer</p>

<p>Sports: </p>

<p>Cross Country 10th , XC Skiing 10th
Indoor Track 9th, Outdoor Track 9th,
Green Belt at Taekwondo and Karate</p>

<p>I’ve done a good amount of summer work too, taking classes at the local college and I also went to the CTY program by John Hopkins before Freshman year. I’m planning to join the habitat for humanity community service group and possibly try to join that “Mensa” organization too.</p>

<p>Also as an additional question, if I was in a co-position for a elected spot, on my extracurricular activities for college would I put co-vicepresident or vice president? knowing the answer would help me know if i should push harder for being sole officer in a position or comprimising with another person to work together in it</p>

<p>I’d reccomend some summer activities related to what you want to study in college. Test scores are the big unknown variable with regards to your chances.</p>

<p>Well, on a practice PSAT I took that was administered by Kaplan (I think) at my local library, I got 69 in Math, 72 in Verbal, and 54 in Writing (I didn’t know we had only 30 minutes for the 40 question section…), so hopefully I’ll be able to get similar or better on the actual PSAT / SAT</p>

<p>That “Mensa” thing is for geniuses. Which I think is a 160 IQ or higher.</p>

<p>Your PSATs are a little low. 54 in writing just looks bad. Your scores pretty much need to all be in the high 600s or 700 or above in order to be competitive. That said, it’s a little early in your high school career to judge.</p>

<p>Stick with your ECs. Commitment and passion say a lot.</p>

<p>Alright, thanks</p>

<p>Do you think my courses academically are alright now? In junior year I’m going to step it up a lot but I’m worried if the bad performance in Biology is going to hurt me that much </p>

<p>And also, even though my family isnt really in that much of a troubled financial situation now, would I be sounding ungrateful if I mentioned our former situation in anything when I applied to college?</p>

<p>the mensa society is for those folks have “have” a 130+ iq.</p>