Summer humidity is a killer for me so I’ve stopped fighting the curl. I cut it shorter and use a smoothing oil by pureology and let it go natural. The oil helps control the frizz so the curls look good.
I can’t emphasize enough what a difference it made shortening my hair from shoulder length to just below the ears. The curls WORK now. 
Washing less frequently is helpful, but the people suggesting a once a week wash do not live in SW Florida and have an active lifestyle. Just doesn’t work here. Might be fine in cooler climates or if you don’t do things that make you sweat or swim in salt water.
^^^I am pretty active and have found that dry shampoo is really helpful. I use Oribe Gold Lust Dry Shampoo.
Question for all the people who can get away with washing their hair once a week - do any of you have light colored hair? I’m asking because my friends with dark hair seem to be able to go longer between washes and still have their hair look good. Mine is a light blond and if it’s greasy at all, it gets lank, limp and just disgusting looking. Dark hair looks glossy and good - light hair (or mine anyways) just looks greasy and gross when oily.
I have light brownish hair with blondish highlights. Not my real color which is dark brown.
My hair actually looks better the longer I go without washing.
My hair is never greasy. It’s way way way to dry for that.
I also have dark hair and wash 2x/week maximum. The times I get compliments on my hair is always on the day I intend to wash it.
Has anyone tried Living Proof restore smooth blowout concentrate? It’s a new product and I agree with the claim that it cuts down on drying time in addition to making my hair shinier. The key is to follow the instructions and not use too much.
The other product I like lately, is Living Proof frizz line instant de-frizzer. My daughter and I both agree that it helps reduce the frizz on day 2 or 3. Can you tell I like the Living Proof line;)
Mine used to be dark and curly. Since I have been going silver and white I am keeping it shorter as it makes it easier to color and/or touch up the roots. I wash it twice a week and I use John Frieda Nourishing Oil every other day. It makes the dry, brittle hair moist and soft.
I use ouidad climate control in the summer. Sometimes, I finish with John Freida Secret Weapon Touch Up cream. I recently discovered Deva Curl shampoo, which leaves my hair a little softer.
I keep my curly hair shoulder length so it’s long enough to put up. I would like it shorter but I am afraid I will end up with a head of frizz if it’s too short.
^I was afraid of that, too, but fortunately that didn’t happen with me. We’ll see how it does in the middle of summer, though!
I have had Magic Sleek process several time after my Salon switched. It is great, no formaldehyde, it lasts a long time, you don’t need to cover your mouth/nose when being applied and neither does stylist , it does not have the heavy feeling that keratin did when being applied and it takes less time and you can wash your hair the next day if you want to. You can’t do in the same process with your color if you color your hair and if out in the sun a lot right after your hair does lighten up a bit but nothing drastic.
Deva Curl products are the best I’ve tried. I also quit blow drying, which just makes the frizz worse. I’ve also found that the water I wash in makes a huge difference. Hard water is terrible. The softer, the better.
Oh, and I did a Brazilian blowout, which looked great on my hair, but caused a hideous allergic reaction on my neck and scalp. Not worth it.
My daughter alternates between DevaCurl, Shea Moisture and Cantu. She also has used Carol’s Daughter but that is her least favorite.
@bookmama How does magic sleek compare to a traditional keratin? Was your hair straighter? Did it wear off in the same manner?
@Massmomm, thanks for the reminder! We have a well and the water is pretty hard. So we have a water softener, but we forget about it. It needs salt to operate. I asked DH about it, and he’s going to check it right now.
Greetings wheatonmom, for me the Magic Sleek has seemed to last longer at least 6 months but my hair grows realy fast. The process is much easier, not toxic (at least hopefully non-toxic) and you don’t have that heavy coated feeling that you had initially with Keratin before you could wash your hair. Magic Sleek seems to be a great conditioner also
Thanks @bookmama22. I’m actually getting my keratin today, but I’m doing my research for August. I think I will try the Magic Sleek then. I’ve called 2 of the 3 salons that do it in Massachusetts and it is definitely more money than a keratin, but I would pay if it works well and for at least 3 months.
The August time frame is fine for me, although it is a bit of a nail biter having my college bound daughter do it 1-2 weeks before she leaves for school. She needs it more than I do.
One last question @bookmama22 … my daughter flat irons her hair and then curls it with a wand. Do you know if you can introduce temporary curls back in with a curling iron?