I’ve done the Coppola Keratin smoothing treatments over the years. They have reduced the formaldehyde, so yay for everyone’s health, but boo for lackluster results.
Has anyone tried Magic Sleek? Or how about Pravana Perfection Smoothout?
I’ve done the Coppola Keratin smoothing treatments over the years. They have reduced the formaldehyde, so yay for everyone’s health, but boo for lackluster results.
Has anyone tried Magic Sleek? Or how about Pravana Perfection Smoothout?
I just use a flat iron and then an oil for sheen.
My hair is wicked curly and very, very frizzy (think Roseanne Roseannadanna ) but you would never know it. It doesn’t get frizzy at all anymore, unless I let it go natural - which I don’t because I hate it.
How long does it take for you to blow dry? Do you use any miracle products;) Doesn’t it get just a little bit frizzy when you are playing tennis in the summer???
I have mine down to 20 minutes because it has changed in terms of fineness and quantity in last 5 years. I still have a lot, but it is certainly easier. My poor daughter has super long, curly hair. She just washed out her 3-day keratin this afternoon and while it is looks better, it was still a chore to blow dry and flat iron. That is why I am exploring other treatments. I’m going in this week for my summer keratin. Neither one of us has worn it curly in the past year.
One of my tennis friends, had a treatment which really straightened her hair, as in straight without a blow dryer and her curl pattern is really tight. I’m going to have her call the salon to find out exactly which product was used, but I suspect it was the Pravana perfection smoothout which is a semi-permanent straightener.
How does Meghan Markle get such straight hair?
About 15 mins to blow dry. I don’t use a brush or a diffuser. It’s an ungodly mess when I’m done. Then I iron it by sections. My hair is chin length and I wear it in a bob.
Doesn’t frizz when I play in the summer, just gets damp underneath.
I use Frizz Ease on wet hair before I blow it dry. https://www.walmart.com/ip/John-Frieda-Frizz-Ease-Extra-Strength-Effects-Serum-1-69-FL-OZ/10309636?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1940&adid=22222222227000011396&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40843169672&wl4=pla-54663077376&wl5=9004615&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=10309636&wl13=1940&veh=sem
I had the keratin treatment a few summers ago. I didn’t think it made much difference, but my stylist liked it as it made blowing out my hair easier for her. I have a lot of hair.
I did Brazilian Blowouts for years and finally decided to go natural – I love it! I use Deva Products, and my curls have really thrived. There was a learning curve, but I don’t think I’d go back to straightening my hair. I constantly get complements about my hair, which I never did in the past when I straightened it.
I embrace the curl. My hair is quite short. I use a curl shampoo and just apply a little bit of a smoothing lotion to tame the frizzies. Let it curl, let it curl! In the winter it relaxes a bit more on it’s own, but summertime it’s a curl fest!
I use Morrocan Oil Curl Defining Cream.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003RW2K0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
I just got my hair cut shorter, maybe an inch below my ears. At night, I wash my hair, towel dry it, and put cream on it. The next morning, I put a little water on it and scrunch it with my hands. It looks great!!! I can’t believe it. I wish I had done this years ago. I have gotten so many compliments. The best part is that it even looks good after I run or work out in the gym. Again, I just put a little water on it, scrunch it, and I’m set. I feel about 10 years younger, especially since I’ve lost 20 pounds, too. ![]()
D18 one day said to me to while looking at my hair, “You know, there are things you can do for that.” Ouch. Soon after I began using a smidge of Coconut oil massaged through my hands and into my damp hair along with a dab of Big Curly Sexy Hair creme. I mean, how could I go wrong with a product by that name? Well, it worked! I mean the frizz was gone. If only everything could be fixed so simply! ;
I just chopped off my hair. I was told I was sporting the Shirley Temple look today. I put a little Moroccan argan oil and sometime a little gel (brand unknown) and just scrunch it. I’d look ten years younger if I hadn’t also stopped dying it!
@abasket, some of us don’t have pretty curls. I’ve tried embracing them but it just wasn’t pretty. I even had the Ouidif cut and the right products. #neveragain.
I just finished a tennis game with a woman raving about her hairdresser and treatment she does for her curly hair. Of course I’m very interested and put his contact into my phone because her hair is so shiny and straight. Well as we walk to our cars, she tells me she gets it blown out every week and never does it herself…ugh I thought she found some miracle product;)
I use the same Morrocan Oil Curl Cream as @MaineLonghorn and also some Ouidad gel stuff mixed with some Aveda gel. I don’t own a hair dryer or a brush. Just use my fingers, even though (for me) my hair is longish (still short by most standards).
I have very thick hair that is frizzy and wavy. I use tons of products—mostly Oribe (Goldlust shampoo, Smooth Style serum, and restorative cream). I also use a flat iron and blow dryer.
Plus, I get a Keratin treatment 3 times per year. I am going to try the Keratin express treatment in a few weeks (I usually get a treatment before summer.) I also stopped washing my hair every day and wash it every two days–it gets too dry and the frizz really shows up, if I wash it every day. Oribe also has a great try shampoo.
There are salons that are strictly for people with curly hair. My daughter found one in Burlington VT when she was in school in NH, and now living in Boston but will schedule hair appt around her being in the VT area. A good cut can work miracle s.
“I get a Keratin treatment 3 times per year. I am going to try the Keratin express treatment in a few weeks”
I think we might have similar hair, but couldn’t tell if you meant you have a lot of hair (thick) or if the individual strands are thick. I have a lot of hair but the individual strands are super fine; it’s wavy and gets very frizzy here in the FL heat. For a few years I got the Keratin treatments but just couldn’t stand to go the 3 days without washing it so have switched to the Keratin Express. It was a good change for me in that the Express is less than half the cost, I can wash it out after a day and I honestly haven’t noticed much difference between it and the regular treatment. But neither the regular or the Express gives me straight hair - all they do is reduce the waves, reduce the frizz and enable me to blow dry it in 10 minutes rather than 45 minutes. It’s stubborn stuff.
Interesting that some of you curly-haired gals are using or thinking of the keratin express. I used it once many years , 7 plus, and don’t remember seeing a real difference.
As far as finding a specialized curly hair cutter, I’ve done that prefer to wear it straight. I suppose if I had the curls of my youth I’d be open to trying again.
Does anyone know what brand smoothing product/keratin they are using?
@milee30 My hair is thick (I have lots of it) and wavy and get frizzy if I don’t use the flat iron and tons of products. 'The Keratin treatment helps–but it never gets it straight.
I have very thick, curly hair that is medium coarse. I get a keratin treatment about 3-4 times a year, but I don’t know what brand. I use a dab of Enjoy straightening gel after I wash it and then a Morracan oil when I am drying it. I don’t have to use a flat iron until the keratin starts growing out.
My DD2 has much curlier hair than I do- tight spiral curls. She quit straightening years ago. She always uses a Ouidad salon for her hair cuts- she does not have on near her but fortunately travels quite a bit so always schedules a cut when she is near one. She also uses Ouidad products to maintain the spiral curls.
I also have super curly, thick, fine, and easily frizzed hair that is a couple inches below my shoulders. I do straighten it some days. I’ve posted before about a straightening brush being an absolute miracle product for me. It takes me less than 5 minutes to straighten all my hair.
This is the one I got…not available on Amazon now…but you might be able to find it somewhere else. I read a lot of reviews when I got mine a year and a half ago. There might be better models out now, but it really has been, hands down, the best and easiest straightener I have used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H6UP9M0?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title
@milee30, I also have a lot of hair but each strand is very fine. I also wasn’t able to let my hair just go after keratin.
Still had to blow it dry and iron it.
Washing your hair too much is a no no for curly heads. It needs all the natural oil it can get. Washing too much strips it of all the oil - making your hair dry and less manageable. I wash mine once a week, unless its damp from sweat from playing tennis, Even when I went curly for that short while, I used a Ouidad product I spritzed on in the morning to restore the curls, instead of washing my hair.