Summer Reading Assignment which book?

<p>I am going into 10th grade honors English (highest) </p>

<p>We have 3 options:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood</p></li>
<li><p>The Jungle by Sinclair</p></li>
<li><p>The Things They Carried; O' Brien</p></li>
</ol>

<p>I heard #2, The Jungle, is the best read, have you guys read any of these books? If so, which would you recommend? At the beginning of summer i am going to have to write a timed-essay in class and will most likely have a prompt about theme.</p>

<p>AP Lit:</p>

<ul>
<li>The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde</li>
<li>Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert</li>
<li>A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf</li>
</ul>

<p>The Things They Carried is such an amazing book. If you like action and a good literature book, then The Things They Carried is perfect! I may sound morbit, but there is at least 1 person who dies in each chapter. It demonstrates a soldier's life during battle and what they brought, literally. The way O'Brien convey's each character is outstanding. I had to read it for AP Lit (one of the 3 books) and it was definitely my favorite book on the list. The other two were The Road and Joy Luck Club (gay). The Jungle I heard was a good book, maybe I'm thinking of a different one haha.</p>

<p>When i said the jungle is the best read i meant it is the best out of the list provided.</p>

<p>I just read the Things Things They Carried, and I usually do not like school books but I actually really liked it.</p>

<p>We read an excerpt from The Jungle and one of my teachers said it was good</p>

<p>Okay, I have read part of The Jungle by Upton Sinclair. I honestly thought it was soooo boring... Maybe because I honestly do not care about the animals? I know that the book opened the eyes of many Americans, especially Teddy Roosevelt. The book mainly talks about how they meatpack each animal like the cows and the pigs. I'd say The Things They Carried was so much better, merely for the fact that it was more interesting to read. I absolutely hate reading about meatpacking because I'm totally tired of it. It might have been an astonishment for the people in the early 1900's, but not much of an influence now.</p>

<p>The Jungle is a really important book, but as far as the most interesting read, I would pick The Things They Carried.</p>

<p>^It is important, especially for the Spanish American War since the vast majority of the soldiers died because of the diseases from the meat. It also lead to many acts such as the Pure Meat Act, etc.. But it is such a bore and all that stuff happened a hundred years ago. You should read Atlas Shrugged even though it is not on your list, haha.</p>

<p>Books are boring.</p>

<p>^I honestly only read books when I have to... Lol.</p>

<p>But some are so boring I just use SparkNotes.. Like 1984 by George Orwell! Good concept but very boring book... I couldn't get past his diction, I seriously had to stop by page 60 and start searching up some SparkNotes.</p>

<p>I actually read the handmaids tail and it's really good, role of women theme and distopia theme which aren't hard to write about, but if you're a guy you might not get so into it and I'd recommend the things they carried instead</p>

<p>I wrote my history internal assesment (2000 word research paper) for IB History of the Americas on The Jungle, it's a really really good book. Super intense and depressing, but I LOVED it. You'll never want to eat meat again. I haven't read the others, but I'd definitely reccommend The Jungle</p>

<p>As for me, my summer readings for TOK are Life of Pi, Ishmael, The Golden Ratio, and God of Carnage. For IB english I have The Great Gatsby</p>

<p>I think you guys should watch this
YouTube</a> - Llamas with Hats 2</p>

<p>I'd rather trade my readings for some of the others I see on here!</p>

<p>Stuck with House of the Spirits for AP English Lit.</p>

<p>Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky for AP Lit (and a 4+ page paper due the first day of a school, and an in class writing on it the first day of school. great)
some Spanish novel I never heard of for AP Spanish Lang
Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis - school requirement
Founding Brothers by Joseph Ellis for APUSH
A Midwife's Tale by Laurel Thacher Ulrich for APUSH
about 100 problems for AP Chem</p>

<p>should probably start at some point</p>

<p>read them all</p>