SUNY Transfer Thread

<p>Just thought I create a thread for those trying to transfer into a SUNY school. Post any questions, comments, or decisions regarding your application.</p>

<p>I don't think SUNY's are worthy enough to be talked about (exception Binghamton). I wish SUNY had an equally prestigious system as the University of California.</p>

<p>I would not waste my money applying to SUNY. As a French, what I found so wrong about students is that they donot look for better career prospects that a prestigious institution might give them rather they think about money. Spending 30K @ Cornell Contract colleges and graduating with a B average is better than spending 20K @ Binghamton and graduating with an A Honours.</p>

<p>The degree you get from prestigious institutions is really worth more than the 40Ks you spend on them.</p>

<p>I might be wrong but thats just my opinion.</p>

<p>While I understand your point, I would have to disagree with you. Many famous business leaders graduated(undergraduate) from a public institution and not a prestigious private college. Also, many people dont have a choice when it comes to public or private, money is a big issue. Taking out loans may lead to being in debt for the next ten years. And not everyone who goes to a prestigious institution makes it big in life. You cant expect people to spend 40K a year on undergraduate and then 50K a year on graduate. Plus saving up your money would be smart to use when you go to graduate school because that is what jobs care about, not your undergraduate but your graduate.</p>

<p>fanofcollege. You misunderstood me, I am not talking about private or public but I am talking about SUNY. When I mean prestigious schools, they can both be private or public for example, Berkeley , UVA etc.</p>

<p>ok, I get what you mean. I just think that the prestigious public institutions gain their recognition mostly from their athletics. All the most prestigious public schools have great athletic teams(except Berkeley) which means the national spotlight is on them as compared to the SUNY system which has none.</p>

<p>To a serious student who actually has a shot at entering some of the more prestigious public institutions, the quality of a university's athletic program is last on their list of reasons for attending. Schools like the University of Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, and Berkley have est. themselves as prestigious public institutions. Their athletic programs could go out the window and yet they will still see applications in record numbers each year.</p>

<p>Even though this thread is going off topic, I will make one last comment. If it weren't for the athletic programs for Mich. Wisc. UCLA. and other prestigious public universities, there would be much less funding for those schools. Funding needed is to improve a school or maintain its prestige. College coaches are paid more than the president of the college so that he/she will sell tickets and get alumni to donate money becasue there school is a winner. And even for "serious students" I think a colleges athletic draw has some appeal and doens't rank on the bottom of the list.</p>

<p>well just for the record fanofcollege, Berkeley often has very good athletic teams. When dealing with athletics, you may not hear Berkeley's name around only because they refer to themselves as California or just Cal.</p>

<p>fanofcollege, many times the athletics programs do not raise near where you would think they do, they have extensive expenses, players who receive full rides, coaches with enormous paychecks, advertising costs, etc.. One can argue but the effectiveness of these athletic programs. However, for some students sports is a huge part of the "college experience," others deem athletics irrelevant. </p>

<p>As far as the "SUNY is worthless," I beg to differ, many suny schools have good programs such as Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, etc.. Education is very subjective, it depends on the student in most cases, not the school. SUNY has a good track record, I think you are underestimating it. Perhaps you may be underestimating SUNY. NY has fantastic private institutions (Syracuse, NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Cornell, Vassar, Polytechnic, etc..) Relative to the private colleges SUNY is sub-par, but the value is still there in the education, very much so. SUNY is very affordable and provides a good education.</p>

<p>UriA702.. I do respect Binghamton thats why I said (exception Binghamton) but the rest of the SUNY system is really worthless. I go by rankings. One ranking can lie but not all. I have checked 6 different rankings US World Report, Fiske, Wall-Street, UShanghai, BusinessWeek etc. Only Binghamton ranks in the Top 100 out of all SUNYS. Remember all universities below 100 are generally considered 2nd Tier.</p>

<p>Hey, hey, Stony Brook, my former alma mater prior to transfer, is ranked 96 according to the USNWR, although I'm not sure of its ranking on the other rating reports you mentioned above...</p>

<p>While Stony Brook cannot be compared to such a distinguished public university such as Berkeley, or to the UC system in general, I wouldn't go as far to state the entire SUNY system is worthless, rather, I consider it a tremendous work-in-progress that serves it purpose to those that are looking for an inexpensive and convenient route to obtaining a decent college education. I'm not very familiar with the upstate SUNY colleges, however I do give Stony Brook credit for attempting to build a name for itself, (mainly through research, science-oriented undergraduate and graduate programs, and it's medical school,) albeit through a very slow and tedious process, lol. :)</p>

<p>SUNYs aren't bad! Well obviously I am being biased because I go to one (Binghamton) they are awesome schools. Some SUNYs Geneseo, Binghamton, Stony Brook, and Albany send students to top grad schools and into top professions. I mean I know we don't have the same state school system but it is comparable. I don't think Syracuse is more elite than Bing at all. I think we're wayyyyyy better. All though it's higher on the rankings you have to understand that's because it's private and it has a large endowment (money). I still think SUNYs such as Binghamton kick ass.</p>

<p>I don't think rankings are only what a school is about. There are different fits for different people. My son is thinking of transferring to SUNY New Paltz from University of Miami. A lower ranked school by quite a bit, but may be a better fit for him. I think SUNY New paltz is an up and coming school. They got selected as best small state school by Newsweek and it is getting harder to get in there.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Schools like the University of Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, and Berkley have est. themselves as prestigious public institutions. Their athletic programs could go out the window and yet they will still see applications in record numbers each year.

[/quote]

I don't think that is true. If those schools cut their sports teams, applications would definitely plummet. Athletics play a big role in daily life and how many of those universities present themselves to prospective students- it is a huge part of these big schools' public identities and personas. Ever heard of Doug Flutie? After he won the Heisman Trophy and led BC to a thrilling win over Miami in the Orange Bowl on a last second Hail Mary pass, applications to Boston College went through the roof. In that case athletic success facilitated academic success.</p>

<p>Which SUNY would you consider best for a biology/chemistry major. I was thinking about transferring to SUNY at Albany since it has a great biology program but I am still open to more options (this is if I don't get into the colleges I am applying to). Isn't the application deadline for transfers applying to SUNY at Albany July 1st? That's a little late but please correct me if I am wrong.</p>

<p>I think it's June 1st, but I could be wrong.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Even though this thread is going off topic, I will make one last comment. If it weren't for the athletic programs for Mich. Wisc. UCLA. and other prestigious public universities, there would be much less funding for those schools.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Nonsense. There has been study after study showing ZERO link between a school's athletic success and its fundraising ability. If your theoretical link were correct, then Auburn, Alabama, Florida State and many other mediocre state colleges with powerhouse athletic departments would have one to five billion dollar endowments like the Big Ten schools, Cal/UCLA or UVA. Instead of the half billion dollar or worse endowments that they do have.</p>

<p>I don't know...there does seem to be a link between Duke's rise in rankings and Basketball success. It's surely not the only factor but it may have played a significant role.</p>

<p>there is no deadline suny schools including albany are under rolling admissions so it goes until it is full..my brother applied in july and it was not too late..hope this helps!</p>