Supported living

<p>I am a youngster and have a question, if you don't mind. If you could go back now to when you were buying your family house, would you opt for something different thinking ahead to when you're older? Or would you still go with what you bought then?</p>

<p>I am wanting to live near my parents and was thinking along the lines of a 2 story colonial-- what I grew up in and is theoretically within reach financially, but at the same time I am considering this my mom is thinking about downsizing out of our colonial into a ranch because of the stairs and old age. And the only way we'd have access to public transportation is to move to an extremely expensive suburb that is likely out of our price range, or leaving the state altogether. I wonder if it's better to get established in something that I know will be there for me through my old age from the beginning, or if it is impractical to think that far ahead. I really like the idea of having two stories when we have unruly teens in the house someday. :P</p>

<p>I haven't given this much thought but now I know that one week a year I'll be visiting emeraldkity4! </p>

<p>HImom, That sounds lovely.</p>

<p>Emaheevul07, My pov is that life is just too unpredictable to plan that far ahead. I think if a house meets your current needs and, as best you can predict, will still be a good house for your family ten years from now, that house is your best bet.</p>

<p>As for the PMK family, 20 years from now we'll be 60 & 64. So our living arrangements will be the result of some rubric that involves jobs and distance from our son and (hopefully!) our grandchildren. I think being a military family has given us a sort of artificial peace of mind with house buying. For twenty years the three questions we've asked ourselves are, "Can we afford it?", "Is it in the school district we want?" and "Can we sell it three years from now?" If we get three "yes", it's our dream house! </p>

<p>The idea that the next house we buy we could live in until, well, we go to our eternal real estate is just...too strange. Although the idea that we can give more weight to a personal preference than how easy it would be to sell it in the next three years is also very exciting!</p>