Supported living

<p>I have lived in my neighborhood for 27 years. This isn't Utopia, but we have a handful of close neighbors who are living in their own homes in their 90's. All of them, have children/grandchildren who help either occasionally or regularly.</p>

<p>I would love to be able to stay in my own house- ( but H has put the kibbosh on planning to make the detached garage , a MIL unit)- even though since I think it would be much cheaper than " asst living type care.</p>

<p>But with " only" two kids- and neither one has any interest in even staying in our state - my prospects are slim. </p>

<p>However, since smaller families have become much more common in the past 30 years, & because the world is small- many adult children won't live anywhere near their parents.</p>

<p>Shared living- co-op housing is also getting much more common, some neighbors who moved to Davis Calif, after the Seattle School district proved intractable, report that their shared community has been great for their kids- even the little one who is in a wheelchair is outside playing all the time.
:)</p>

<p>OMG- I just looked up the house on Zillow where I grew up ( my mom sold it in 1995, when she decided to move to something smaller) They completely gutted it a few years ago it looks like- or might as well have & thrashed the native landscaping my dad had put in as well. It is very "modern" yuck- yuck- yuck.</p>

<p>Do not recommend.
:(
I am just having a traumatic day.</p>

<p>( oh well maybe one of my sisters 5 kids will need a live in auntie in my old age ;)<br>
oh wait- ... I don't think I could be part of a Mormon household- I like my coffee & how do I cook without wine?)</p>

<p>Now my grandmothers house- in Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle is still pretty close to how she had it except the yard doesn't look as nice- but still Magnolia ;) I didn't buy it when I had a chance because I knew I was not gonna trim the lawn with the required manicure scissors</p>

<p>So where are you going to be living in 10/20 years?</p>

<p>I was just thinking about that yesterday, as I had a late afternoon swim in our pool *which I love.<a href="We%20put%20the%20pool%20in%20in%20lieu%20of%20moving%20to%20a%20bigger%20house.">/I</a> All of our bedrooms are upstairs and there is only a half bath downstairs.</p>

<p>Built this house with a full bath and small guest bedroom downstairs, and a screened-in porch upstairs. Planning on staying forever.....</p>

<p>I fear that my husband will want to stay in this house forever but I still hope we will move to a condo or some such within walking distance of public transportation and a small grocery.</p>

<p>I dread ongoing dependence on a car as I age.... what happens when you can't drive anymore?</p>

<p>We have a big expensive house. I just hope the market shores up and we can sell it for enough to get something affordable in our old age. No idea where we will go. Just trying to get by this year, this day.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I dread ongoing dependence on a car as I age.... what happens when you can't drive anymore?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That is a concern to me as well. Our suburb doesn't have public transportation and isn't likely to. My parents live in another state and use public transportation all the time. They have been afraid to drive in the city for a few years, but they just get on the train and go whereever they want.</p>

<p>In 20 years, I want to be living in a senior apartment (possibly in a complex with step-up care possibilities) near a metro area with good public transportation and decent cultural offerings. In 10 years (or sooner), I want to be packing up our current suburban home and looking for said senior apartment.</p>

<p>I love the DC metro area. With 2 adult kids living there, I'm aware of the many problems and realize how expensive that would be. I'm willing to give up a lot in living space and convenience to do this. Would also say I'm willing to give up a lot in discretionary spending, but we're there already. :D</p>

<p>College towns, especially those with a med school, are often good possibilities for seniors, and that's my current first runner-up.</p>

<p>Some smart person is going to figure out a way to capitalize on the need our generation will have for affordable, safe, quasi-convenient transportation once we realize that driving isn't such a good idea anymore. Medical transportation is ridiculously expensive, and insurance rates for small businesses that transport seniors are shocking. But the opportunity is there, because the need is going to be.</p>

<p>Dang! I just realized that in twenty short years, I'll be ancient. :eek: Ready for those assisted living apartments. How the he** did we get so old! :eek: :eek:</p>

<p>We will stay in our house forever (hopefully). When we did a remodel 20 years ago, our architect suggested we put a bedroom with a bath downstairs for that very reason. Our community in the Los Angeles area has transit options especially for seniors, a great bus system links us to the metro rail and shopping options are just a few short blocks away. My H is involved in Meals on Wheels and understands the hardships of the home bound and likes that our little town takes care of seniors (we will be there soon enough!)</p>

<p>I'll be the lone voice to say that I would love a retirement community. Lots of activities within walking distance. Lots of stuff to do and someone preparing meals :) Hopefully I won't need assisted living, but if I do, I can be easily "upgraded."</p>

<p>Oh I will be living in a cooperative condo development on the outskirts of a winery near a University where I will take classes and in a town with public transportation. There will be a supermarket within a mile of the condo on the transit line and my kids will live a within a 10 minute drive. With their healthy happy families. There will be a vibrant arts community and horse back riding trails. There will be a large hardwood floor space for yoga and a shared pool with entertainment/grilling space and lovely seating. Views. Of rolling hills and valleys. There will be lovely views. We will have a second house in a warm place for winters and oh yeah there will be a chef. Yeah. That's the ticket.</p>

<p>Hugcheck, I have a reservation at that very same facility. But you forgot to mention the white sand ocean beach on one side and the harbor filled with sailboats on the other.</p>

<p>Where do I send my deposit for the Hugcheck/MommaJ Retirement Village? </p>

<p>It's also dog-friendly, of course, with walking trails, on-site grooming, doggie day care and boarding, skilled dog walkers, and a vet who makes house calls.</p>

<p>Sign me up for that one too and of course, there will be a patio with a view and coffee, croissants and the NYT in the morning.</p>

<p>But seriously EK, we have that discussion all the time here. We live in a one story house that is very accessible for wheelchair, etc. but with zero public transportation. Our kids will not be able to afford to buy the house from us and we will not be able to afford to give it to them. Like a lot of Californians much of our retirement is in real estate equity.<br>
Luckily we still have a lot of equity in our primary home.<br>
In addition to this home we own a much smaller home three minutes away. It is in a more walkable area but still no grocery within walking distance. Bars, restaurants, shops, post office, library all nearby.<br>
Our youngest has three more years of college. In all probability we will eventually sell this home and move to the one "in town". Particularly since we don't want to continue to work at the pace we have been for the past twenty years. I have mixed feelings about that. I love the home we have now but reality will come knocking.<br>
We have also talked about a place by the beach but that would be in another state and my thoughts about leaving my friends and my familiar places are very mixed. DH would be happy to go anywhere. He isn't social and doesn't have close friends...
Even though my kids are past much of the usual CC stuff that's one of the reasons I stay on. To compare notes with the rest of you who are facing similar decisions.</p>

<p>this house is walking distance to grocery, dr/hospital, theater/library etc. Plus eventually I expect seattle will have more public transportation choices.</p>

<p>Its nice being able to live in the city, & last night we took a long walk around the neighborhood ( which I haven't done for a while since our dog can barely make it around the block).</p>

<p>I would move to Portland- as I expect D will stay there possibly- as her boyfriend likes it too( the one from Alabama)- but I would miss being able to go to the salt water beach. I guess I can always take the train down, since I do not like driving back and forth.</p>

<p>In retrospect- I guess we are lucky- our house was almost paid for, ( but then we had to use home equity- still it is managable), it is small- I designed the landscaping for low maintenance & food production- which is maturing quickly ( I had to dig up and pot some shrubs when I realized they were growing much faster & bigger than I thought they would , until I figure out what to do with them.) :o</p>

<p>One thing I really like about the city is that there are the quirkiest little shops, lots set up in homes or small storefronts- there are restaurants and coffee shops, but also animal acupuncture and bike repair.</p>

<p>We live close to an elementary school, and H said I can't start a child care- but I can see myself talking him into it- I think it would be great fun- plus I can teach them to help me in the yard. ;)</p>

<p>I am also going to convert one Ds room into a yoga/exercise room & another into a guest room for all my Cc friends who want to come revisit Seattle!</p>

<p>emeraldkity- regarding your day care. Does the elementary school have half day kindergarden? At my kids elementary school there was a Mom who her sole business was watching kids of working parents who were in the afternoon class. She would walk them over when school started. As her own kids got older she began offering the same service to the kids in morning K. She would pick them up with their lunch boxes at noon and walk them back to her house.</p>

<p>There is a mom near our school who does the same with the half day Kers. Good idea mom60. Plus when they are that age you can have a larger adult to child ratio so a little better income and more kids to interact with each other.</p>

<p>We dont even have half day in our district as far as I know although since the state doesn't pay for full day, they make the parents pay for it. $207 a month. ( however the district says that if someone only wants 1/2 day, they can be " accomodated"- )</p>

<p>Both my kids went to private at least until through 2nd grade- all day in a group of 30 kids is a lot for a 5 year old.:p</p>

<p>But before/after care is what I was thinking about- with the possibility of taking younger siblings when needed.</p>

<p>That also wouldn't tie me down as much as if it was full day- which is possibly what H was worried about.</p>

<p>This would probably wait till D graduates anyway- our neighborhood is also changing some new kids moving in and while the 95 yr olds are stll going, the 70 yr olds are moving .</p>

<p>My folks live in a house a 5-minute drive from our home, as do most of my sibblings. Both our homes are one-story. Their home is walking distance of a shopping center, ours is a 5-10 minute walk from one (make that 10-20 minutes some years hence). There are many seniors in our neighborhood & if you walk 5-10 minutes to the highway, you can catch the bus to most places (standing on the highway to catch the bus). Many folks drive in our state in their 80s, 90s & beyond (yes, there are a lot of fender-benders). </p>

<p>When we bought our home, hubby said he plans on dying in it dacades from now and he's still planning to stick with the plan. My folks have lived in their home for over 70 years & plan on dying in it some decades from now. They have many kids & we all see them many times a month & some of us see them many times/week (they live about 5 minutes drive from most of us).</p>

<p>None of us entertain serious thoughts of moving, even tho we could get out a lot of equity if we did. Not sure whether our kids will ever be in a position to buy our home from us--maybe if they marry mates with high income (S will also be having a pretty high income but don't know what D's income will be). Fortunately, we don't need to use our home equity to have a comfortable retirement, so we have options to consider.</p>