Supreme Court says strip search of Ariz. teenager illegal

<p>WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court said Thursday school officials acted illegally when they strip-searched of an Arizona teenage girl looking for prescription-strength ibuprofen.</p>

<p>In an 8-1 ruling, the justices said that school officials violated the Fourth Amendment ban on unreasonable searches when ordered Savana Redding to remove her clothes and shake out her underwear.</p>

<p>Redding was 13 when Safford Middle School officials in rural eastern Arizona conducted the search. They were looking for pills — the equivalent of two Advils. The district bans prescription and over-the-counter drugs and the school was acting on a tip from another student.</p>

<p>[Print</a> Story: Court says strip search of Ariz. teenager illegal - Yahoo! News](<a href=“http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/ap_on_go_su_co/us_supreme_court_strip_search/print]Print”>http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090625/ap_on_go_su_co/us_supreme_court_strip_search/print)</p>

<p>I’m so glad that they ruled that way.</p>

<p>Thank goodness. Some of the justice’s comments during the case had worried me, but I’m glad they came to what seems to me like the clear decision.</p>

<p>What was Clarence Thomas thinking, though?</p>

<p>They must have asked for Thomas’ vote before Scalia gave his.</p>

<p>I truly think Thomas is an evil man. I’m not sure if I’ve ever agreed with a single decision he’s made, certainly not any where there was any dissent.</p>