Surplus of Units (USC College)?

<p>I had a question about one of USC's policies, since after hours of searching I still can't find anything on their site that's clear on this. I'm around midway on finishing up my courses to transfer as a junior and I wanted to transfer into USC's College of Letters, Arts & Sciences.</p>

<p>Under "College Basic Requirements", USC College's Undergraduate page states, </p>

<p>"For those undergraduate students earning a degree in the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences, a minimum of 104 units applicable to the degree must be earned in college academic departments. For students graduating with a minor or a second bachelor's degree, this minimum is reduced to 96 units. Other exceptions will be considered by the dean of undergraduate programs in the college [...] This policy also applies to transferable courses." </p>

<p>I don't understand if this simply means that 104 of total units have to come from college courses (thus setting a maximum to transferable AP credit, etc), or if it means that at least 104 units must be earned specifically at USC's College of Letters, Arts & Sciences.</p>

<p>If the latter, I suppose it means that transferring as a junior wouldn't be convenient, because even having 64+ transferable units, I'd be forced to take about 40 extra units at USC just to satisfy the policy.</p>

<p>I'd appreciate any info if anyone can help me out.</p>

<p>USC, as with many colleges, has a cap on the number of units you can transfer in. You can transfer a maximum of 64 credits. The 104 refers, I believe, to a necessity to earn 104 credits under the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences departments. Courses transferred into CLAS can go toward this, based on the transfer cap of 64.</p>

<p>Oh I see. I was assuming that since they seem to prefer students to transfer as soon as they can, the policy was created to discourage students from staying the full 2 years at junior colleges.</p>

<p>Thank you for your help.</p>

<p>Just a note - You need *128 units *to graduate. The 104 refers to the number that must be earned in CLAS (as Serapher says). The other 24 can be in CLAS or any of USC's other schools.</p>

<p>The reduction to 98 mentioned in there is if you have a double major or minor in a different school - then your CLAS requiremnt is reduced by 8 units to 96 units (but you still would need 128 overall).</p>

<p>Yes, my main confusion was how many of those 104 could be transfered in, if at all. I suppose I should have done more research, thanks for the reply.</p>