Suspended, what are my chances of Admission?

<p>Hi all</p>

<p>I just received one of my worst nightmare letter, which is a suspension from college for one year(academic misconduct). Even though I am senior student with only 2 classes left to graduate but no one cares. Plus I have to withdraw from college, which means losing all efforts and grades for my current on going classes.</p>

<p>The thing is I didn't give up and I am trying to appeal to this decision.However, I doubt they would consider it because people here all usually merciless and don't care even though I am international student and can only be sponsored for one more semester. Although I know I have mad poor choices but getting the degree is still like a dream and life goal for me.</p>

<p>My question is would it be possibly to transfer to other university/college while I am suspended and have AD mark( academic dishonesty), plus I am presumably 16 Credits/7 Credits away from getting a degree? </p>

<p>I truly don't want to give up, so please help.</p>

<p>Thanks and sorry for the long writing.</p>

<p>I think you have a huge problem on your hands. I don't know what school is going to want to accept someone right away that has that on their record. And also, if you could find a school, they are going to make you do at least a year of coursework there if they are going to give you a degree from their school. You aren't going to be able to get a degree from a school where you only take a few classes. You may have to figure out a way to do your one year supspension, and then go back to your current school to finish your degree.</p>

<p>Glad to see you're not giving up hope.</p>

<p>To be straight: A mark for academic dishonesty is considered the worst mark to have, especially during college. I know several colleges that actually expel upon academic dishonesty (you should have signed several honor codes at some point). Was your offense a minor one? i.e. cheating on a test vs. distributing a test.
However, it's only one component of your application. Yes it will be tough to find another school, but if you go to some interviews and prepare an essay on your mistake and generally be persistent, I have no doubt that a college won't take your money.</p>

<p>I'm assuming you want to go to a well-recognized school. I understand, but to do this would require quite a bit of effort. Your choice. </p>

<p>I'd definitely consider spending the suspension, doing some work-study for the college with some professors, assuming you know some (avoids the whole awkwardness and possible dirty look and rejection).</p>

<p>OhioMom2, thanks for replaying.</p>

<p>I think I would not be able to get a degree then. I would rather spend a year on another university than coming back for the people who rejected me. Yet I can't afford to either come back after suspension nor spend a year at another college. What a bummer !</p>

<p>Thanks anyway</p>

<p>Precursor, you are right but what has happened is not minor but I have my reasons such as depression and other things, but you know I guess I will just have to forget about it and might give up soon !</p>

<p>What exactly did you do, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you don't want to post it in public.</p>

<p>You need the ok from your school to transfer (good academic standing), and without that, I don't think any school will accept you. It's a major component of the transfer application. Some schools ask for dean certifications and all sorts of things to prove good academic standing.</p>

<p>You really have to just take the year off and go back afterward. You have more to worry about than just graduating and getting a degree, so take the time to "make up" for your academic dishonesty.</p>

<p>Trade schools will take you. Its not all that bad, to learn from your mistake. In those schools, you will learn a skill that may give you a good living. My friend's son, who also made a mistake in his life after college and now is in the military. If there is a will there is a way, the society will forgive and forget.</p>

<p>The more important thing is to learn from the lesson and make sure not to do it again.</p>

<p>I think I would not be able to get a degree then. I would rather spend a year on another university than coming back for the people who rejected me.</p>

<p>One of the issues is that you still aren't taking full responsibility for your cheating. You are blaming the school, not yourself. The school did NOT reject you--it has simply follow through on its policies. </p>

<p>If they will let you reenroll after a break, then I think that is your best bet. Swallow your misplaced pride and anger, find a way to spend the time wisely with work or something else useful, and then go back and finish up your degree.</p>