Sweet/Sad Story of Dying Teen Admitted to Colleges This Summer

This caught my eye - the story also ran in the Indianapolis Star, which is now behind a paywall for me.

She was diagnosed in February and took the SAT after her first week of chemo.

“Audrey’s math teacher and mentor, Jenny Cox, worked with school counselors to complete college applications.

They emailed colleges across the nation, telling them Audrey’s story and attaching her application and letters of recommendation. She was accepted to Butler, Loyola, Middlebury, Ball State and the Art Institute of Chicago, among others.”

Darling girl and so sad for her family. Wonderful for the staff at those colleges to consider her application over the summer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4672024/Friends-rally-help-girl-17-complete-bucket-list.html

Thank you for sharing this. It reminds me of several things in my circle: one that was, one that might have been, one that might still be. A high school classmate was accepted to the University of Chicago but was diagnosed with colon cancer the summer after senior year and died a year or so later, never have attended the U of C. My nephew briefly had a diagnosis of Ewing’s sarcoma in May of his senior year of high school but learned a week later that he actually had a nonmalignant, very treatable, tumor. And a 2-year-old boy I know is in remission from rhabdomyosarcoma.

Such a sad story.

What a sad story. I have a friend who is a social worker whose specialty is teens and young adults with cancer. Whenever I get upset that my kids have not achieved or done what I think they should, I think of children like Audrey and my friend’s patients. At least my children are healthy.

@techmom99 I agree- it put the things we are going through with our daughter in perspective.

Heartbreaking.

While going through the stressful college admission process with my D this year, I was regularly reminded (although maybe not often enough) to keep things in perspective and how so many parents of sick kids would love to be going through that process. A darling boy who was a friend of Ds in her high school theater program was a junior this past school year. He finished a great performance in their children’s play in December and was diagnosed a week later with a brain tumor. He fought hard with an amazing attitude and passed away at the beginning of May. So tragic.
It really made me feel ridiculous for spending so much time fretting over college stuff.