Switching Colleges Sophomore Year?

<p>How easy or difficult is it to switch to an out of state college if you have good grades as a college freshman? I want to switch next year, when I'm a sophomore. </p>

<p>The reason is because I'd like to attend college in a better environment. The campus itself is fine at my school, but the area surrounding the school is very sketchy (aka "ghetto"). There have been a LOT of armed robberies occuring inside and around the campus. I'd just like to attend a school where I can take my evening jog and not have to worry about being robbed at gunpoint or receiving police alerts every day with blurry pictures of a suspect in my area. The sketchiness of the surrounding area also means I can't go anywhere, and I love to walk places. I wouldn't feel safe walking through any neighborhood outside the school area. So I'm stuck on campus.</p>

<p>I know crime occurs everywhere, but I did some research and looked for schools in very low-crime areas. My favorite one is out of state, though. I'd like to transfer there next year. </p>

<p>What should I do to ensure a successful transfer? Thanks.</p>

<p>
[quote]
How easy or difficult is it to switch to an out of state college if you have good grades as a college freshman?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>What you have to take into consideration is that when you apply as a soph transfer, you will only have completed 1 sem of college work when a decision is made (at most the college may also see an unofficial mid-term report). So your HS record (gpa & rigor of coursework) and test scores will be much more important than if you were applying as a jr with a 1 1/2 yr college record.</p>

<p>How difficult a school will be to transfer to will depend on their selectivity, number of transfers they accept and residency if a public university.</p>

<p>
[quote]
What should I do to ensure a successful transfer?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Read the sticky thread Transfer Admissions 101 at the top of this forum and construct a realistic list of schools to apply to, one that includes a drop dead safety if you are intent on leaving next year.</p>