Switching to more prestigious public school?

<p>Will this have an effect on my chance of admission? (whether or not I’m a minority)</p>

<p>Well, I’m a Sophomore heading into my Junior year. I go to Carson High School, which isn’t a very good school, but I’m part of a SLC that focuses mostly on Honors/AP classes, so I have all honors. But due to certain circumstances, this summer I have to move in with my dad in Georgia. The school I’m looking forward to going to has a much better reputation, and they say that they send kids regularly to top schools like Brown, Harvard, Yale, etc. They have quite a few AP and Honors classes also. And for comparison, Carson High has a 3 out of 10 on Greatschools.net, while this school has a 10 out of 10. Would it look better or worse on my application in my senior year? I have a 3.7 GPA right now.</p>

<p>The way that many admission officers put it, it doesn't seem to matter where you go to school. As long you take advantage of all the possibilities at that school (take whatever AP/Honors course they offer...which you seem to be doing). They evaluate you based on what your school offers...meaning that they don't compare you to other students who may have more AP/Honors oppotunities.<br>
Simply put moving to this new school can't hurt, as long as your able to handle the cahnge in environment and the new course load/ expectations that come with this new school. The college admissions game is finicky so I wouldn't let moving to a new school let you lose sleep. :) good luck when you have to go through all of this in a few years.</p>

<p>All schools including Brown, Harvard, etc look at how you made the most of what your HS had to offer and how you challenged yourself. It doesn't matter what school you go to(public,private, pretigious). They do not penalize you for where you are. So my advice is to Take as many AP and Honor classes you can, involve yourself in lots of EC's and do volunteer work. That is a biggy and will carry you far. Make it a point to get to know a few teachers that you relate to well. This will serve you well when it is time for LOR. Also,
at the very beginning of the school year, visit the Guidance Counselor make yourself known to them so they have a sense of who you are. IMO going to Carson High school might even help you because you did avail yourself of the Honors/AP program. I wouldn't worry too much.</p>

<p>You mean Carson near Long Beach? You guys got owned by Birmingham in the football championship! I don't go to B-Ham, instead I'm at another school in the Valley that starts with a G and is located in the Hills, but yeah, you guys got owned.</p>

<p>I've heard of kids doing the opposite (from more prestigious school to less prestigious) to boost class rank, so more power to you. However, the posters above me have a point. They don't care where you come from, but what you did with what was available. Take advantage of what you can control (ECs, SAT) and you'll do fine.</p>

<p>Greatschools.net gives my school a 10 out of 10, which is weird, because I didn't think my school was all that great.</p>

<p>They are rated by test scores, nothing else.</p>