Taking Advance Chinese as a native Chinese speaker?

<p>I am a native Chinese speaker and came to the U.S in high school junior year.</p>

<p>Now, i am a college junior and indeed to boost my gpa. So, if i take Advance Chinese, the higest Chinese course, this semester, will med school look down upon me and think that i am taking the easy way out? Or, it doesn't really matter that much, since it's Advanced Chinese?</p>

<p>I have a few other Chinese premed friends who came to the States when they were young, and can speak fluent Chinese. But, they are taking Elementary Chinese course...</p>

<p>Any suggestion will be appreciated!</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>They probably won't comb through it that carefully, especially for non-science courses.</p>

<p>You're already a college junior - are one or two A's really going to boost your GPA?</p>

<p>I think it's an incredible waste of time. Ask around. Surely there are grade padders at your school that are both easy and interesting.</p>

<p>what about if i know how to speak chinese and lived there for the first few years of my life, but don't know how to read and write it - would adcoms think i would only be trying to take the easy way if i take elementary and intermediate chinese? it really is new material for me but will they look down upon it because i am chinese/would i need to explain my situation? (or am i overthinking...) thanks!</p>

<p>i would be grateful for any opinions</p>

<p>If you want to take Chinese courses, take courses that deal mainly with literature, not the language itself. Otherwise, that's just sort of ridiculous. Take courses you'll actually learn from.</p>

<p>skc111, since you don't know how to read or write Chinese, it should be fine. It would probably be best to explain the situation just so you don't seem like you are looking for an easy A.</p>

<p>would they assume im taking them for an easy A if i didnt have the chance to explain?</p>

<p>If they are unaware of the fact that you speak Chinese, they should not assume that.</p>

<p>If you want to learn to read and write Chinese, that's a perfectly legitimate reason to be studying it in college. Med school adcoms don't look at every grade (except for science and math classes) and analyze why you took which class. You are overthinking this.</p>

<p>Granted that adcoms might not pay that much attention, you probably still shouldn't take a Chinese course, even if it is an advanced one. You came to the US when you were in high school, so your Chinese is pretty top-notch. A native Chinese speaker from China learning Chinese in the US, doesn't that sound pretty odd? Think about it, if you take a course, not only will you be wasting time that could be spent learning something else, you'll also be wasting lots of money and the overall benefit is only an A or two.</p>

<p>I know other immigrants do it to boost their knowledge of native language. If you do not need that, then it is waste of time. Couple A+ will not make any diff.</p>