Taking college courses as high school sophomore

<p>I am a freshman and taking Spanish 3 (juniors are usually taking at my school).
I am planning to take Spanish courses at university near my town next Fall by testing out Spanish 4. FYI I am not Hispanic, just love learning Spanish.
Can it be an edge for my college application for top schools?
For other hish school courses, I will take 3 AP and 1 Honor classes.
Or should I just stay with high school classes until sophomore years, and take college courses from junior year?</p>

<p>College language courses typically run at a faster pace -- does the college course you are interested in specify 3 years of high school Spanish as the recommended prerequisite?</p>

<p>It is 300 level course. If you took 4 year high school Spanish, you need to take 300 level
Spanosh at college. That is what my high school handbook says.</p>

<p>Talk with the Spanish department at this college, and find out where THEY would place you.</p>

<p>It sounds like taking college Spanish as a sophomore would be a great experience and a great boost to your college chances! I took 2 6-week summer courses at a local community college that overlapped with the end of my sophomore year, and I loved them. College courses are WAY more interesting than high school courses. I am now in my third semester as a dual-enrolled student, taking two classes per semester (the most high-school students can take). By the time I'm finished I will have at least 32 credits. Best of all, it is completely FREE in my area--all I have to pay for is books!</p>

<p>Keep in mind, though, that these are real college credits that will end up affecting not just your odds of getting into college, but your college GPA (assuming your credits transfer). At my college, if you fail a course as a dual-enrolled student, you can never dual enroll again. And I was warned that in Florida, if you get a D, F, or withdraw, you are essentially shut out of any of the decent public schools in the state.</p>

<p>3 APs and a college course (especially 300-level at a university) is a LOT to handle sophomore year. I'm not saying you can't do it, but you don't want to overextend yourself and lose the opportunity to take college classes later in high school. If you have any doubt at all about your ability to get a very good grade in the course, you shouldn't do it. You might also consider taking fewer AP courses. You don't want to take on too much. If you decide not to take the college course, you can always take one of the AP Spanish courses if they're offered at your school.</p>

<p>If you do decide to take the college course, make sure the tutoring center is available to you as a dual enrolled high school student. It should be--and don't say you won't need it, because you very well might. You never know.</p>

<p>Check Rate My Professors to find a teacher who is supportive of students and not too hard a grader, as well as nice and interesting. See if you can take the course Honors, depending on the college--I know it seems counterintuitive to tell you not to overextend yourself and then suggest you take an honors course, but often honors programs at some colleges are just smaller classes and maybe one extra assignment or two, not harder at all. At least, that's how it is in my school. In that case you get the benefit of a smaller class and get to know your professor and classmates better. Just something to look into.</p>

<p>I tried the college Spanish Grammer class this afternoon.
The grammer itself was not hard, but the native professsor spoke so fast.
Some hard vocab, and no one I know...
Our school doesn't offer AP Spanish, so I need to take a college Spanish course in my
junior years anyway.
I still can't decide whether I take a college Spanish as a sophomore or as a junior.
My school top students start taking college courses from sophomore years.</p>