Taking the SAT tomorrow - some essay help!

<p>Hey guys,</p>

<p>Would you mind spending some time to review my examples that I've compiled, and add in suggestions of what might be extraneous or lacking? I'm taking the SAT tomorrow so any help ASAP is greatly appreciated.</p>

<p>Jackson Pollock: Pollock painted in a manner that was seemingly random, and full of spontaneous originality, but he painted with complete control. He preferred to paint on the ground as he said it enabled him to “enter the painting” from all angles, and truly let his creativity flow. He is famous for his “drip painting” method that seemed random and arbitrary.</p>

<p>The Iliad: Helen is taken by Paris back to Troy, where a ten-year siege unfolds. A main character, Achilles, decides between a long, peaceful life and a short life but eternal glory. Some sample themes include: nostos (homecoming cannot be achieved without victory, or death), kleos (honor won in battle, which is what Achilles sought), time (respect among the warriors, which Agamemnon did not portray when he took Achilles’ prize), and fate (Achilles’ choice). Paris is also disrespected for his cowardice on the battlefield, while Hector is honored for his sacrifice (his wife and child).</p>

<p>Scientific Revolution/Modern Science: The essence of science is to test hypotheses thoroughly, regardless of the source. The Revolution and rebirth of enlightened thought began despite the church’s protests, and modern society is born.</p>

<p>Gates TED Talk (Miracles): There have been many miracles, including the PC and the Internet, but with the issues facing the world today we must actively seek these miracles, not wait for them.</p>

<p>Einstein: Said that he had only had a few original ideas in his life, and the rest were based on other’s work. His important contributions to science and overwhelming success. Considered a “genius.”</p>

<p>Newton: “If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.” Discovered calculus, infinite series, Newtonian physics.</p>

<p>Programming/GNU/Linux: Decades of “gift economy.” The more you give, the more you get. In modern computer systems it would be impossible to work from the ground up on each project. The reason why we have such advanced software is directly due to copying others’ work.</p>

<p>Plato’s Republic:</p>

<p>Aristotle’s Politics:</p>

<p>Aristotle’s Ethics:</p>

<p>Walden/HDT: Henry David Thoreau’s famous back-to-basic living book.</p>

<p>John Nash: A famous mathematician and Nobel prize winner in Economics, Nash was obsessed with being remembered by a pure, original idea, and is known for his creation of the Nash equilibrium and other game theory ideas.</p>

<p>Mozart: New evidence suggests that Mozart was much less of a "natural genius" than previously thought, and had considerable influence from his father.</p>

<p>Stories in Classical Mythology:</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>These are all great, but I don’t see a lot of literature in here. Consider adding something like To Kill a Mockingbird or The Scarlet Letter in case you get a question on morality, doing the right thing, etc.</p>

<p>Have you taken US or European history? Examples from either would be good to have. </p>

<p>You might look up the essay topics from the January test on the College Board website and take one of the topics/assignmnets and see if you can write at least a page an a half essay using your examples.</p>