Taxes yet again....

<p>What is the maximum student income before taxes need to be filed for 2011? Is it still $5500?</p>

<p>I don't know actually, but generally my kids want the $200 or more back from their summer jobs and in their pocket so I file 'em.</p>

<p>From the federal tax publication 17. </p>

<p>Single dependents—Were you either age 65 or older or blind?
□ No. You must file a return if any of the following apply.
• Your unearned income was more than $950.
• Your earned income was more than $5,800.
• Your gross income was more than the larger of:
• $950, or
• Your earned income (up to $5,500) plus $300.</p>

<p>Or you have self employment income of over $400</p>

<p>Just remind them not to claim themselves, so you can still claim them.</p>