Teachers talking about their personal lives

<p>Has anyone else experienced a class where the teacher talks too much about their personal life? I had one teacher who insisted on relating everything back to her divorce and cancer and past abusive relationship, and I had a teacher in 8th grade who constantly talked about her husband's death... it's sad and at first I empathize, but I think its kind of inappropriate to talk about those things to your students. I've literally lost hours of lecture time listening to teachers go off on tangents about their life and I don't understand why?? Is it cathartic?? Students should not stand in as therapists!!! And then currently my AP psych teacher insists on making awkward comments about him and his wife whenever we talk about sex psychology. It's totally unecessary!! ahhh!</p>

<p>Sorry I just need to vent on this!</p>

<p>A teacher of mine had a hicky (sp?) once, and that was pretty amusing. He joked and said he had an accident while vacuuming.</p>

<p>Two teachers in my school are dating, and it's annoying sometimes to see them flirting.</p>

<p>A lot of my teachers have actually talked about their personal lives, especially my freshman year. That was because my freshman year they were all getting married and periodically we asked about their spouses. And in Religion class, talk of our teacher's finance actually tied into the subject.</p>

<p>I think students knowing SOME things about teachers can help (stuff like "Yeah, I like rock-climbing) because then students see the teachers more like people- they're not robots! That inspires some people to work better because they actually care if the PERSON they're turning their work into will be dissapointed in them, you know?</p>

<p>Buuut, on the same coin, teachers should never talk about their sex life or romantic life. And definitely shouldn't waste large chunks of time on anything not related to class.</p>

<p>I think it's fine in classes like art and P.E. because it's funny.</p>

<p>My art teacher talks about how she was kicked out of the house, became a druglord stripper atheist, but saw the light, got her doctorate in art, and how she hates all of our work (but secretly wants to keep everything and snaps pics of us working for her memories wall).</p>

<p>My old P.E. teacher (who was caught for insurance fraud) always complained about politics and economics. He gave us "THEY TOOK OUR JAIRBS!!!" speech.</p>

<p>One of my teachers in 8th grade went on and on about her sex life and how she was trying to get pregnant. WAAYY too much information...</p>

<p>^^ ughhh..
my teacher constantly talks about breast-feeding her baby. She's one of the hottest teachers here and it's an 90%-boys-school.. everybody's drooling.
.. and I'm a girl.</p>

<p>I don't mind a little bit of personal information. Like if they talk about their dogs or kids or something.</p>

<p>The last day of both Spanish and Religion class last year our teachers decided to have fun with an "open mic" class. The Religion one wasn't personal, but so funny and the best class ever.</p>

<p>The Spanish one involved the teacher talking a lot about his personal life, from how he and his fiance got engaged to why he got his three tattoos (that half the class didn't know about in the first place).</p>

<p>EDIT: For some reason I can't edit my first post, but I want to say that where it says "finance" I really meant "fiance".</p>

<p>I hate these double posts!</p>

<p>My teachers talk little about their personal lives. However, in middle school each of my teachers talked about their children/pets/weather...It was annoying and a waste of time.</p>