Teen overdoses on stolen prescription drugs

<p>And sues drugstore for not 'protecting the drugs better'.....our judicial system is out of control</p>

<p>Man</a> who overdosed at teen house party awarded $4.1 million settlement - NorthJersey.com</p>

<p>That was a settlement, not a court decision, so the guy wasn't really "awarded" the money. I find it surprising that the pharmacy's insurance company would settle for such a large sum in a case like that--maybe the evidence would show that the pharmacy was violating regulations or something like that.</p>

<p>Good catch,Hunt...i misread 'awarded' as a judicial verdict...i agree why in the world would the pharmacy settle on any monetary payout</p>

<p>It's easy to get outraged when you read a newspaper story about a case, since they don't always give the important details.</p>

<p>I remember a case some years ago when AT&T paid out a lot of money when a car jumped a curb and hit a man in a phone booth. How on earth was that AT&T's fault, right? But it turns out that the phone booth had a defective door, and multiple people had been trapped in the booth, and AT&T had notifications from the police (all of which they'd ignored) that they had to fix the door. The man who was injured by the car saw the car coming, but was trapped in the booth.</p>

<p>I have to think Hunt is right, since the pharmacy's insurance company wouldn't have agreed to a settlement for no reason.</p>

<p>It's true that insurance companies will often settle cases for "nuisance value" even if they think they will ultimately win the case--they'll settle for a bit less than they think they'd have to spend to defend the case. It's hard to see how $1.9 million could be nuisance value, so there has to be something more to this case.</p>

<p>The Macdonald's coffee case is another one where the actual facts are quite different from what people think they know. Here's a link:</p>

<p>The</a> famous/infamous “McDonald’s Coffee Spill Lawsuit” revisited</p>

<p>In addition to the facts presented on that site, I recall hearing that the national org of physicians who specialize in burns had previously asked McD's to reduce the temperature of their coffee, and that they provided some kind of supporting testimony during the lawsuit.</p>

<p>A big difference between McD's and Dunkin Donuts at that time was that McD's did NOT offere to add the cream and sugar before handing the coffee to the customer in the car.</p>

<p>One interesting contrast between this case and the McDonald's coffee case is that the coffee case could have been settled for a fairly modest amount of money, but McD's wouldn't settle, and ended up paying big bucks.</p>

<p>The McD's case illustrates why we NEED the ability to bring such lawsuits, and why it is essential that doing so on a contingent basis be available. McD's KNEW that hundreds of people had received 3rd degree burns as a direct result of their decision to hand coffee to people in cars--without adding the cream and sugar, and DD did--while maintaining that coffee at an abnormally high temperature. But despite 700 prior cases--and there may well have been more--it wasn't worth it to them to change this practice until they were hit in the wallet.</p>

<p>My guess would be that the biggest problem the pharmacy had was that the drugs were supplied by one of its employees. The story doesn't provide any detail about how the employee could walk out of the store with a schedule IV drug without anyone knowing it was missing, but I believe that pharmacies are supposed to keep close tabs on abusable drugs, to prevent them from being used (abused) in a non-doctor prescribed setting. It could be that the employee had been supplying drugs to others for some time when this event happened; you just can't tell from the story.</p>

<p>
[quote]
One guest at the party was a former employee of Harding Pharmacy, who stole Xanax from the drugstore and gave it to Simon, said Simon's attorney, John Schepisi.</p>

<p>Simon sued the pharmacy for not taking proper precautions to avoid theft of drugs. He also sued the party's host and his parents, along with several guests that he said failed to call for emergency help after Simon took the drugs

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Apparently the story has been updated since the OP. These stories of teenaged pill parties scare the bejesus out of me...what are these idiot children thinking?! I hope this kid decides to make something worthwhile come out of this.</p>

<p>Unless it is a C-2, the controls are on the shelf, and everyone has access to it. If someone is stealing small quantities, it is hard to notice. We do lose pills. To really determine if stealing is occurring, you have to look at your dispensing/ordering history and see if they match up. At most pharmacies, there are so many pills and so much volume. </p>

<p>If a pharmacy thinks controls are being stolen, a DEA form 106 has to be filled about. Depending on the volume, the DEA might quickly respond. The pharmacy can review security footage, if they have cameras. </p>

<p>On a side note, you can't OD and die on Xanax alone. He must have been drinking alcohol or taking other drugs for that to occur.</p>

<p>A huge problem around here is kids stealing prescription drugs from family members. Then they go out and get drunk on alcohol and take the prescription drugs.</p>

<p>For example, morphine patches. The kids put on a morphine patch, get drunk, go to sleep and never wake up.</p>

<p>Oh that's awful, shyhook.</p>

<p>Morphine doesn't come in a patch, fentanyl comes in a patch. We actually sell presscription drug safes/lock boxes.</p>

<p>Thank you for that information, Nova. I know of two students who died from doing this and we were told they were morphine patches. Do you think they were fentanyl patches?</p>

<p>I hope you weren't thinking I was blaming the pharmacists, because I wasn't. I'm not sure whose "fault" it is, but it is definitely a tragedy.</p>

<p>I am waiting for stories about litigation against parents who keep their prescription drugs unlocked. Dad's leftover oxycodone from the knee operation, mom's from the facelift, a teenager's from the wisdom teeth removal, or grandma's from the hip surgery. It's a tragedy waiting for a place to happen. We may trust our own kids, but what about the friend-of-a-friend, the sitter, the neighbor, the niece, or whoever else might pass through? </p>

<p>We may have grown up with unlocked medicine cabinets, but this is no longer an acceptable way to run a household. It is common knowledge that teens abuse prescription drugs today more than ever, and it is negligent to ignore this information. </p>

<p>The types of kids who would normally stop experimenting at alcohol or pot are the ones abusing prescription or over-the-counter drugs because they believe it is more acceptable and safe (not gross or edgy like cocaine, meth or heroin). The problem with this misperception is that kids are overdosing or becoming addicted just as easily as they are from the harder street drugs. Check out the stats on this - it's an epidemic. We all need to do our part.</p>

<p>Do an inventory of what you have in the house. Safely dispose of stuff you no longer need. LOCK UP whatever you need to keep. Do this for elderly relatives as well. Educate young people that abusing pharmaceuticals (prescription or over-the-counter) is just as risky as any dangerous street drug.</p>

<p>^^spidey, to add to your last paragraph:</p>

<p>How</a> to Dispose of Unused Medicines</p>

<p>Please do not flush the unused meds down the toilet!</p>

<p>We run programs for PARENTS on the dangers of prescription drugs. We find that the majority think they are safer than marijuana, and safer than alcohol.</p>

<p>We have seen a turn in our state, though. Since the reformulation of OxyContin, making it difficult to break the time-release quality, and since old OxyContin from Canada is disappearing, we are seeing a massive turn to heroin use among young people, including large numbers of college students. Heroin treatment admissions are at an all-time high, with the average age dropping from about 39 to 26 in an 8-year-period. Virtually all of the younger heroin-addicted folks say they were addicted to prescription opiates first, but replaced an $80-$160 a day habit with a $10-$30 one.</p>

<p>We are seeing similar with some patients who became addicted through their docs, who didn't monitor them well. The patients eventually get cut off, and as attempts to scam meds at emergency rooms are becoming more difficult, they are turning to cheap heroin. Our heroin on the west coast is not China white, as one sees in most of the country, but Black tar from Mexico.</p>

<p>And the really bad news is that, in the main (and other than methadone and some buprenorphine-assisted programs), treatment is not working very well.</p>

<p>Treatment is all we have until someone somewhere comes up with a vaccine or medicine to prevent, cure, or manage addiction. Rehab is insanely expensive, and few who need it get access. It does improve the odds of long term sobriety enormously, but the statistics for relapse are still grim. Dollars dedicated to research for this disease are few compared to other more popular causes (those with less stigma), yet addiction is probably the only health problem that touches absolutely every one of us. </p>

<p>With ten percent of the population suffering from addiction at some point throughout the lifetime, who can say that there is not one victim anywhere in their family? Alcohol or drugs are behind most domestic violence, and involved in the majority of vehicular crimes. Eighty percent of inmates are incarcerated because of possession, dealing, or crimes committed in order to pay for drugs. Socioeconomic status usually determines who goes to treatment and who goes to prison. While many get sober in prison, the disruption of incarceration alone to families and communities (and to the psyche of the individual) is devastating. </p>

<p>The cost to society at large is mind boggling. Every one of us shares in the burden of this epidemic. Solving the riddle of addiction needs to be made a national priority.</p>

<p>Nova10, i would love to hear the story of your screen name!</p>