Teenaged Girl Charged with Encouraging Friend in Suicide

Just when you think you have heard it all there is this. It honestly makes me feel sick. If she did what they say she did, is it likely that the charges will stick and she will go to jail?
http://www.wcvb.com/news/police-say-text-messages-show-girl-encouraged-friend-to-kill-himself/31535124?utm_source=Social&utm_medium=FBPAGE&utm_campaign=wcvb5&Content%20Type=Story&linkId=12613516

She has a twitter account that interesting to read. In it she tweets to her dead friend and references him a lot. By appearance, she seems like a normal, nice girl. To find her twitter account, google her name with the word twitter.

This article has a little more detail and quotes her twitter account.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2972283/Michelle-Carter-18-encouraged-friend-life-raised-money-name.html

There was a report on this on the Today Show this morning. It’s pretty chilling, especially when he got out of the car and she told him “Get back in.”

I just find it mind blowing. Chilling is a good word. And on a practical note, she is an honors student but didn’t think that his text messages would be checked?

EPTR, that was my first thought. How stupid! Ugh, this will haunt me all day.

^^ That’s exactly how I feel. I feel like going back to bed, or crawling under it.

I keep thinking about her parents! Imagine finding out that your child did that or may have done that.

So evil. After the young man died (with her encouragement), she organized fundraisers for suicide prevention and sought sympathy for the loss of her friend. How much do you want to bet that the suicide of her friend and her subsequent fundraising efforts figured prominently in her college application essays?

It really is sickening. I’m sure she got attention as a grieving friend, wonderful fundraiser, etc. It reminds me of the kind of evil plot you would see on Law and Order.

This is so sad. That said, while I’m not an attorney in Mass and I don’t do criminal law anyway, I’m not sure that it constitutes “involuntary manslaughter.”

My heart goes out to his family. As the saying goes “With friends like this, who needs enemies?”

Disturbing on so many levels.

If there isn’t a law against it, there should be.

Is there something like “aiding and abetting a suicide” in Massachusetts? If they can’t get her on " involuntary manslaughter", they need to get her on something if what is being alleged is accurate.

<<
Disturbing on so many levels


[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

exactly. the young woman has something wrong with her. No mentally-healthy/normal person encourages someone to “get back in the car” to asphyxiate himself. She got some weird sick thrill out of all of this…like she was pulling the strings to make it happen. Sick, extremely sick.

I’m no mental health expert (not at all), but when you know something isn’t right, it’s not right. Mentally healthy people want to SAVE lives. Mentally heathy people do not want others in danger. It has always sickened me to know that one of H’s brothers would encourage siblings to engage in extremely (extremely!) risky behaviors that certainly could have cost them their lives. Healthy-minded people just don’t do that. Only someone who’d get a sick-pleasure out of seeing another one get hurt/die would be a part of such behavior.

I just read Conrad’s obituary. He had just graduated a month before with a 3.88 GPA and had also gotten his
Captain’s license as a boat captain. Had played baseball, rowed in crew, and was a runner. He was headed to Fitchburg State in the fall. So sad.

Depression is a horrible illness. From the short clip I saw of her lawyer, the defense is that he killed himself. If what has been reported is true, she pushed a vulnerable young man who was wavering into suicide, knowing that his family was looking for him, not telling anyone where he was. How is this not worse than accidentally killing someone in your car?

I think it is actually worse. If this is all true, she did not “accidentally” do anything-she willfully and knowingly pushed him into killing himself., despite his doubts. It is pure evil.

I agree with @sevmom. Nothing “accidental” about it! This was on our local news yesterday morning and I couldn’t believe the story. So sad for his family and she’s sick!

It’s like the plot of a TV show that seems too twisted to be believable. I can’t imagine what his family must be feeling. Such a devastating loss but then to find out he didn’t really want to follow through.

It’s like one of those “Munchausen by proxy” cases where a parent garners attention by making their child ill.