Teens get parents to agree to sell mansion and donate half the proceeds to charity

<p>"Some people joke and say you can never be too rich. Hannah and Joseph Salwen aren’t those people. The brother-sister duo looked around their family’s self-described mansion in Atlanta, complete with an elevator and library, and said, “This is too much.”</p>

<p>After Hannah saw a homeless man while driving with her family, she realized that she had too much while others don’t have food or other essentials she took for granted. The 15-year-old corralled her 13-year-old brother to ask their parents to sell their home and downsize to something half the size. They also wanted mom and dad to donate half the proceeds of the nearly $1.8 million asking price to The Hunger Project."
[Young</a> People Who Rock: - Blogs from CNN.com](<a href=“http://ypwr.blogs.cnn.com/]Young”>http://ypwr.blogs.cnn.com/)</p>

<p>LOL silly Liberals…</p>

<p>why do you say they are " liberals"?</p>

<p>I didn’t see anything about party affiliation</p>

<p>i don’t believe liberal was used in the party-politics context.</p>

<p>That’s a sweet story, NSM. Good kids to come up with that proposal and fantastic parents to follow through.</p>

<p>The CNN story doesn’t tell the whole story. </p>

<p>According to October 8, 2008 NeighborsNewspapers article, “Family of givers says ‘less is enough,’ donates $800K,” the homeless man Hannah Salwen saw two years ago was resting on an Atlanta curb next to “a gleaming Mercedes.” Supposedly, Hannah “wondered aloud what would happen if the man in the Mercedes gave up a little bit so the other man could have a meal.” The sight of that local homeless man motivated Hannah Salwen and her younger brother to pressure their parents to sell their home, and donate nearly half the sale proceeds to charity. The parents complied, and their $800,000 Hunger Project donation was sent to… Ghana.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, the local American homeless man Hannah Salwen saw two years ago is almost certainly still homeless and still hungry… if he’s still alive.</p>

<p>The Salwens are now proudly tooting their own “socially responsible, self-sacrificing” horn. I’m not impressed. In fact, I’m disgusted.</p>

<p>And that, is why I vote Republican.</p>

<p>I’ve always been a non-partisan ticket-splitter, but I hear you, TUOwls2011 (or should I say, fellow Night Owl).</p>

<p>Part of my disgust stems from the fact that the Salwens will be able to take a whopping tax deduction for their charitable donation, so America loses out twice.</p>

<p>It was their money to give- it WAS very generous of them. I don’t see how their actions could disgust anyone.
Hunger is a worldwide problem.</p>

<p>It went to hungry people in GHANA? OH, the horror. </p>

<p>Thank God we know the whole story now.</p>

<p>Their generosity is just amazing, remind me of Christopher McCandless’ story in a good way.</p>

<p>What difference does it make where a hungry person lives? Their need and worth is no less great because of their geographical location.</p>

<p>speaking as someone whose family has been living on less than $500 for the past month, if I had $$$$$ to give to people with little- I would give it where it would make the most difference.</p>

<p>Our family hasn’t been able to access any govt services because we havent been without much income long enough & no one is in K-12 school or over 60.
Someone who has been without income for a more few months can get food stamps- shelter- job training- clothes for job interviews … even if the wait list, for the wait list for subsidized housing is long as it is here.
That is in this country.</p>

<p>In Ghana that money could go towards an infrastructure for the water supply, malaria medication, schools… It would go much farther to help than it might in this country.
That is if you think that those who contribute to charities should be able to choose the qualified charity or if it should just go to the government to redistribute.
[Poverty</a> Analysis - Overview](<a href=“http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTPOVERTY/EXTPA/0,,contentMDK:20153855~menuPK:435040~pagePK:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:430367,00.html]Poverty”>http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTPOVERTY/EXTPA/0,,contentMDK:20153855~menuPK:435040~pagePK:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:430367,00.html)</p>

<p>remind me of Christopher McCandless’ story in a good way.</p>

<p>I really don’t get the connection- it’s my impression that McCandless didn’t give his belongings away because he wanted others to benefit- but because he felt burdened by them& was invigorated by traveling light. I may be cynical, but I wonder if he had lived to his 30’s if he would have become an attorney ;)</p>

<p>“Their need and worth is no less great because of their geographical location.”</p>

<p>In fact, there’s a good argument to be made that you ought to spend your charitable dollars where they will go the farthest – and that’s rarely the U.S. One dollar buys a lot more food in Ghana than it does in Atlanta.</p>

<p>I must have missed the disgusting part.</p>

<p>Why not just volunteer at a shelter, ain’t that just as good.</p>

<p>You’re right, Hanna. What I meant to say – but did so badly – is that hunger feels the same no matter who or where you are. </p>

<p>Of course charity dollars can go farther in various places.</p>

<p>I see nothing disgusting about having a charitable spirit, either.</p>

<p>Being generous with one’s own money is a virtue. Being generous with someone else’s money is not. While these kids are to be commended for thinking of the less fortunate, given that they did not WORK for the money their parents gave away, I fail to see how they deserve a national honor. Our high tax rate and national deficit is what results when lawmakers are generous with money that’s not theirs in order to further their own career or reputation–hence the connection to politics.</p>

<p>Is there a follow up? Did the house sell? Did the parent’s donate?</p>

<p>To dragonmom: Yes, the house sold (reportedly for $1.8 million). Yes, the parents donated ($800,000) to the country of Ghana through The Hunger Project.</p>

<p>To my detractors:</p>

<p>I don’t think charity is disgusting. I do think the Salwens are disgusting. It disgusts me that they chose to send their charitable donation overseas when there is poverty and hunger right in their own backyard. It disgusts me that the Salwens would then run to the mass media for their self-aggrandizing “fifteen minutes of fame.” It disgusts me that the Salwens will subsequently benefit from a large tax deduction–tax revenue which would have helped support poor and hungry Georgians and Americans.</p>

<p>I don’t care if the Salwens live in a 6,500 square foot “mansion,” a 3,000 square foot house, or a 500 square foot apartment. The Salwen parents have enough money to be able to choose how and where they and their children will live, so however and wherever they choose to live is their business. Whatever the Salwen parents choose to do with their money (save it, spend it, donate it) is also their business. However, given that the Salwens–both parents and children–have chosen to splash themselves across the mass media, they have also chosen to expose themselves to public opinion.</p>

<p>I am a member of the public, and I have an opinion–an unfavorable opinion of the Salwens.</p>

<p>Since I first posted to this thread, I have done some additional research on The Hunger Project, Ghana, hunger in America, and hunger in Georgia. Here’s what I’ve learned so far:</p>

<p>1) The Hunger Project is a California-incorporated nonprofit. Although it aggressively fundraises in many countries (including in the U.S.) it implements programs only in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The Hunger Project was co-founded in 1977 by est guru Werner Erhard (John Paul Rosenberg), who established The Hunger Project’s “principles and abstracts” to reflect and promote his personal worldview. In response to escalating public criticism of The Hunger Project’s controversial foundational principles and alleged financial mismanagement, major charities such as CUSA, Oxfam, and the Peace Corps were reported to have disassociated themselves from The Hunger Project in the early 1980s.</p>

<p>2) Since 2001, Ghana’s GDP has risen from $3 billion to $16 billion; it is now (comparatively) the fifth wealthiest country in the world. Moreover, current development of recently discovered Ghanaian offshore oil fields will enable Ghana to produce a projected maximum of 250,000 barrels of oil per day by 2010-12, generating projected minimum revenues equivalent to $1.2 billion to $2.5 billion U.S. dollars. (The bottom line: Ghana can afford to take care of its own.)</p>

<p>3) According to the USDA Economic Research Service’s November 2007 report ERR 49 entitled, “Household Food Security in the United States,” from 2004-06, 35.5 million Americans lived in “food insecure” households. 10.9 percent of all American households experienced food insecurity (defined as “limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods or uncertain ability to acquire acceptable foods in socially acceptable ways”), and 4.0 percent of those households also experienced hunger (defined as “uneasy or painful sensation caused by a lack of food; the recurrent and involuntary lack of access to food”).</p>

<p>4) According to the USDA report cited above, 12.6 percent of all Georgia households experienced food insecurity, and 5.0 percent those households also experienced hunger.</p>

<p>By contrast, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) reports that Ghana’s 2001-03 population undernourishment (defined as “not having access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food that meets dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life”) rate was just 12 percent, and was dramatically decreasing.</p>

<p>The Salwens made a judgment call; they considered “undernourished” Ghanaians to be more deserving of a sizeable charitable donation than the higher percentage of their “food insecure” and “hungry” fellow Georgians. They chose to send their donation overseas rather than contribute nationally, or even locally–for example, to the Atlanta Community Food Bank, where Hannah Salwen and her mother volunteer, or to Atlanta Habitat for Humanity, for which Hannah’s father sits on the board of directors. </p>

<p>I agree with the old saying (first attributed to Roman playwright Terence), “Charity begins at home.” For me, “home” is first myself and my immediate family, then my close friends and extended family, then my personal acquaintances and immediate neighbors, then the other residents of my neighborhood, then the residents of my community, then the residents my state, then the citizens of my country, and then–and only then–the citizens of foreign countries. I consider charity to be a personal act; I will give money to a needy individual I encounter on the street, but I will not donate money to any organization which is unable or unwilling to help that same needy individual. I also consider charity to be a profoundly private act; I donate to individuals and to organizations anonymously, without the personal inclination or the emotional need to publicly brag about–and to receive public recognition of–my generosity.</p>

<p>The Salwens appear to be among those people who find it less socially disturbing, more emotionally gratifying, and somehow more “politically correct” to donate to the “invisible” poor (Ghanaians) rather than to the “visible” poor (the homeless and hungry of Atlanta). Poverty and hunger are indeed worldwide problems–problems many Americans currently share. Poor Americans are undeniably visible, and so, I am disgusted by Americans like the Salwens, who close their charitable eyes to their fellow Americans while extending their charitable hands to foreigners, and who then aggressively solicit American admiration and applause for their “social responsibility and self-sacrifice.”</p>

<p>I am old enough to remember former president Lyndon B. Johnson’s gutsy War on Poverty. America is still fighting–and, in my opinion, rapidly losing–that war. Americans such as the Salwens, for whom charity does not begin “at home,” and/or by whom America is not considered “home”–disgust me.</p>