Please be honest in chancing me! I know most of these schools are wild reaches but I want to see what I can do and others’ perspective on my application.
My main concern is that I have very few classes/ECs that relate to my intended majors; I stated in my application that my school doesn’t have any of those kinds of clubs (Model UN etc) but I still feel like that part of my application is weaker.
Demographics
- US citizen
- State/Location of residency: midsize TN city
- 2200 student public high school
- Other special factors: low income, Questbridge finalist
Cost Constraints / Budget
Due to my income, I expect to get full cost covered by financial aid at almost all top private schools. I have no financial support from my family so basically my only option is a full ride, but that should be covered by need-based aid pretty much everywhere. I also plan to work during college.
Intended Major(s)
public policy, urban studies, sociology, international studies
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
- Unweighted HS GPA: 4.0
- Weighted HS GPA: 4.51
- Class Rank: my school doesn’t rank, top 10% of 465-ish class
- ACT/SAT Scores: 35 composite, 36 superscore (36 on all subsections but math, 34 on math)
List your HS coursework
(Indicate advanced level, such as AP, IB, AICE, A-level, or college, courses as well as specifics in each subject)
- 10 APs by graduation - limited 9th & 10th grade, currently in 6 APs
- English: AP Lang, AP Lit, AP Seminar, AP Research
- Math: Alg I- AP Calc AB/BC
- Science: Honors bio, chem, anatomy; pharmacology class & intership culminating in Pharmacy Technician certification
- History and social studies: AP Human Geo, AP Gov, DE US History, AP Psych
- Language other than English: Honors Span 1, French 1-AP French
- Visual or performing arts: Orchestra, choir
- Other academic courses: Teaching as a Profession
Awards
Gates Scholarship semifinalist
Questbridge College Prep Scholar & National College Match Finalist
All-State Choir and Orchestra
Volunteer Girls State
Governor’s School for the Arts
TN Seal of Biliteracy in French
Various school awards
National Merit Commended Scholar
Scholarship, recognition, special performance opportunities from local symphony
AP Scholar with Honors
AP Capstone diploma candidate
CollegeBoard National School Recognition Award
Extracurriculars
Music is main EC -
Choirs: section leader at school, Governor’s School for the Arts, participation and leadership in various community choirs (but limited in length of time)
Orchestras: local youth symphony (was principal jr year), self-taught with rapid progression, school section leader, volunteering with youth orchestra to teach/mentor younger players
moderate local and state recognition for music, many local and school solo performances, devote over 20 hours/week to music practice and activities, applied as music major to several schools (not listed in this post), not virtuoso or prodigy but very solid, hard-working musician
church: president of youth group, youth camp leader, member of many planning committees, church choir since childhood, church chorister (direct music); lots of service through church, especially individual - less publicized but I played up personal impact; daily Bible class before school; lots of summer camps; 8ish hours/week
NHS president, Tri-M Music Honor Society founder & president, Student Council all 4 years (but no leadership), Mu Alpha Theta, Earth Club
Quite a bit of babysitting, occasional music gigs
Essays/LORs/Other
Questbridge essays (was application to most of these schools): 7.5/10 - very personal but could have been more concise and vivid, but overall pretty good, was able to talk about service and music in addition to personal statement
Common App essay (italics denotes which schools got my Common App): 8.5/10 - later version of my QB essay, much more concise and “me,” however since there’s only one common app essay I couldn’t cover as wide of a scope
Supplementals: 8-9/10 - some were a bit rushed but the content and ones I recycled were pretty good, was able to talk about conflict resolution, interest in majors, etc; very specific to each school
LORs (I’ve read them due to having to submit them to a scholarship): 9.5/10 from anatomy teacher, 7.5/10 from French teacher
Circumstances: big family and can’t afford car insurance for me, very limited transportation - difficult/unable to participate in sports, job, many ECs; other family/finance challenges (but not significant family responsibilities)
Schools
The ones I care most about: Brown, Columbia, Duke, Harvard, JHU, Rice, UVA, Vanderbilt (applied for the Match as a music major, rejected from music school; RD as Public Policy major); WashU, Yale
Others I applied to: Boston College, Bowdoin (only did one essay out of the many optional materials), Emory, Macalester, Northwestern (same situation as Vandy, but RD as International Studies), Notre Dame, Oberlin, Tufts, Tulane
Just for fun here are the schools I auditioned at for music: BU, Carnegie Mellon, JHU Peabody Institute, NYU
I’ve already gotten into some public schools but I can’t really afford them so I’m very much hoping to get into a couple of these schools.
Thank y’all and I’d love any feedback or predictions!