Test Anxiety hurt chances?

<p>I was wondering if I put down on my application that I am diagnosed with test anxiety which affects my SAT scores would that hurt or help my chances?
On one side it could hurt because admission officers may think "If this person has test anxiety they will do bad on college exams" or would they think of it as a disability?</p>

<p>Not a direct answer to your question--because I have a guess, but I honestly don't know--but have you looked into test-optional colleges? There's a growing number of colleges and universities that don't require applicants to submit SAT or ACT scores at all; the list includes some highly reputable institutions, too.</p>

<p>If you're not currently a senior, and you still have time to generate a list of colleges to apply to, take a look at the list of test-optional institutions at SAT/ACT</a> Optional 4-Year Universities | FairTest.</p>

<p>Well it's actually because I want to appeal an admission result, and I feel it's because of my low SAT score. I didn't mention my test anxiety in my application but was considering using it in my appeal (as well as taking the SAT again). I was just wondering if this was a good idea.</p>

<p>Thanks for the info though</p>

<p>Ah, I see. I'm not usually a big fan of appealing admissions decisions, but the case you're describing seems like one in which you might could reasonably ask. I think the test-anxiety thing is probably significant enough to make your request for reconsideration fair. </p>

<p>There's no guarantee they'd change their answer with new information, but the request that they reconsider in light of this information is fair, IMO.</p>

<p>
[quote]
...the case you're describing seems like one in which you might could reasonably ask.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Ugh. Please delete either might or could from that sentence.</p>

<p>And then please find me a proofreader!</p>

<p>Smith: one of my students appealed a deferral explaining a test anxiety and was admitted, but:</p>

<p>1) this was a deferral not a rejection...and the school in question actually told him that it was his test score that triggered the deferral (large public)</p>

<p>2) this was not a top school.....</p>

<p>smith1302 -</p>

<p>Your guidance counselor would be the best person to help you find out whether or not your test score was critical to your rejection from this particular college or university. If you do learn that this is the case, then your counselor can help you petition for a review of your application given that you have a formal diagnosis for the test anxiety.</p>

<p>You also should be working with your counselor, your teachers, and your physician or therapist to develop a strategy for dealing with exams in the future. You will have many tests of many different kinds in college.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your advice, I will take action on your recommendations. I've also taken the SAT again hoping for a better score and will use that in my appeal as well</p>