Textbooks (don't worry not asked yet)

<p>So i've heard all the suggestions for buying textbooks (buy used, get them from amazon with a prime .edu acct, wait until you know if you want to keep the class, wait to see whats required, etc...) and I've figured that amazon would definitely be the cheapest and most convenient (2 day shipping = nice). However I have one caveat: I'm kinda dependent on financial aid (it was one of the reasons I chose cornell). So, in short, how do I get cheap books on FA's payroll? I'm hoping it's as easy as giving my amazon receipt to the bursars office, but something tells me it can't be that simple. Any help/ experience?</p>

<p>Try to find out if you can use a textbook that is exactly one or two edition older than the current edition. You can save like 40-80% for a book that is about 95-99.9% the same.</p>

<p>beatmewithastick, I don't think you'll need to go through the bursar for your textbooks. Most likely your financial aid includes some self-help portions (your student contribution from summer earnings & FWS). Generally speaking some portion of your self-help (the money you are putting in and earning for yourself) would be expected to go toward your textbooks and personal/incidental expenses. These do not go through the bursar at all, you just earn the money yourself, and spend the money yourself.</p>

<p>If you do have a financial aid offer where your grant aid exceeds the direct-billed costs (your tuition and fees, room and board) then you will get a "refund" from the bursar's office to spend on your textbooks and personal expenses. Again you don't need to prove how you spent the money. Your financial aid offer assumes you will spend a certain amount on textbooks, and if you spend less, you keep the extra cash. </p>

<p>If for any reason you are forced to spend more than the assumed amount in textbooks, then I think that if you save your receipts, you can request additional financial aid (usually in the form of loans) to help cover those costs.</p>

<p>You are correct. I got my work/study canceled out by outside scholarships (though I do intend to work), so my self help is just my bursar bill. I noticed that while I had only put a little money on my cornellcard, it had much more money on it. The extra money was in the amount of twice the estimated semester book cost - guess it turns out they just give you the money :). Good to hear I'll have some pocket money if I manage to stay under what they gave me (though I assume cornellcard means I gotta buy them through the college). Thanks for the application of experience to help me even though I got the same answer by coincidence.</p>

<p>It seems like their "standard" way of providing refunds is direct deposit to your bank account, not your Cornell card. I wonder if you filled out a form at some point or checked a box asking for it to be paid that way. If you don't think you'll need that money to spend on campus, I'd suggest calling the Bursar's office and asking if you can get a check or direct deposit instead. I don't think their intent is to force you to use the money on campus.</p>

<p>Will do - I don't know why the money got on the card, but it would be much more efficiently spent off campus</p>

<p>Well I feel a little embarrassed right now - turns out the money on the cornell card is how much I can spend - meaning that there's no actual money on it. Good news is that I now know how the card works, bad news is that my financial aid for textbooks is in entropy.</p>

<p>Did you already make a payment to the bursar to cover your student contribution (SSE)?</p>

<p>I recently signed a student loan which should be going out shortly. I'm going to call them tomorrow to get a cleaner picture of how the financial aid money filters down to me.</p>