That's why you chose Yale

<p>I've been searching for inspiration. I know the cliches, but why did you all choose Yale? I'm guessing I'll get a better idea of why I want to go to Yale when I visit in the coming weeks, but I was just curious if anyone else would like to share why they chose Yale. I mean, besides the obvious (residential colleges and the like), what separates Yale from the other fine institutions in America such as Harvard, Duke, Princeton, and JHU among many others.</p>

<p>Having been accepted to the "Holy Trinity" (oh, CC...), I chose Yale because everyone there just seemed more happy and alive than at the other two... I went to extracurricular fairs at all three, and there were people screaming and actively promoting their clubs/organizations at Yale, whereas at the other two people were sort of quietly standing at booths giving out [poorly made] pamphlets. The difference was night and day. As well, at Yale, all the students I met were a lot more eager to talk to admitted students than at the others, and they seemed genuinely happy that we were there. I think they saw it as a great opportunity to promote Yale, which they obviously loved to do.</p>

<p>Really, all of the schools you listed are great. It really comes down to a difference in vibe.</p>

<p>Also, I kind of think it's stupid to compare colleges of this calibre by academics, because they'll all be roughly the same. The only time it's justified to do this is if, say, you want to go into engineering and you're down between MIT and Yale.</p>

<p>rockermcr: Wow.... you were accepted to the trifecta! Excellent. My D has been to two of the three (H & Y) and she actually also prefers Y to H..... she got the same vibe there too. I wish you luck in your studies.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Having been accepted to the "Holy Trinity" (oh, CC...), I chose Yale because everyone there just seemed more happy and alive than at the other two... I went to extracurricular fairs at all three, and there were people screaming and actively promoting their clubs/organizations at Yale, whereas at the other two people were sort of quietly standing at booths giving out [poorly made] pamphlets. The difference was night and day. As well, at Yale, all the students I met were a lot more eager to talk to admitted students than at the others, and they seemed genuinely happy that we were there. I think they saw it as a great opportunity to promote Yale, which they obviously loved to do.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>That pretty much sums it up for me. Really, if you get into multiple HYPS schools, the academic differences are marginal at best, especially at the undergraduate level. And I'm sure all the schools you listed can offer you, more or less, a great college experience. Instead of "Yale is superior because <strong><em>," it'll be "Yale is slightly better than _</em></strong>_ at _______."</p>

<p>Really, I picked Yale for social reasons, so I'm not sure that any of this will be helpful in the Why Yale short answer. I was really debating between Stanford and Yale, and it just seemed to me like Yale was a bit more laid-back (though I hear Stanford is known for the laid-back, West coast intellectual feel). I preferred the semester system to the quarter system and all the stress that accompanies it. I really liked the restaurants nearby (I hear Stanford food gets repetitive and bland). What's more, everyone was really nice during BDD (though that may have been a show), and I really liked the student atmosphere. Everyone I met at Stanford was some sort of techie science/engineering/computer science major. Most people I met at Yale were artsy/polisci/econ majors, (Note: these are sweeping generalizations.) and I think Yale has the strongest arts program out of the top 20 schools. (I love artists!)</p>

<p>I happened to meet a student there who was admitted to HYPSM, and I think he put it best when he said he chose Yale because the community was more tight-knit than those at any other comparable institution. The residential college system really does build close friendships.</p>