The Dinner That You Can Eat Weekly

I mostly try to eat produce in season and from the US. This means that I have a limited time when I can enjoy melons, berries, and other fruits that we love. It’s fine, we love other fruits & veggies as well—applies and oranges are tasty and healthy as well. I also do try to buy local produce, even if it is more expensive.

1 Like

This is my exact answer. We grow enough Basil that I can freeze enough batches to eat it all winter long. Sometimes I’ll make a simple protein like sauteed chicken, and sometimes we’ll have a green salad on the side, but often it’s simply pasta with pesto.

3 Likes

I eat breakfast almost every day. Even before my two days a week morning exercise class. The other days (most of) I usually exercise at my preferred late afternoon time. My usual breakfast is a bowl of homemade muesli, sometimes topped by fruit. As I said in an earlier post, in retirement I eat a main meal lunch most days and a smaller dinner. So by 7 am or so I’m hungry. When visiting others who have large dinners at up to 8 pm, I am not hungry for breakfast. I’ve also usually not slept well and woken with acid reflux. All of these habits have evolved over time to what seems to work best for me. I’ve also been through long Greek yogurt phases but currently have no taste for yogurt at all.

1 Like

I usually do a very light breakfast. If I have to be somewhere I will often have a granola bar and a banana with tea. Otherwise I may not eat a meal until lunch. Definitely not an early riser or an early exerciser. I usually take a walk in the afternoon. I’m just not very hungry in the morning.

Also not a huge fan of yogurt or cottage cheese. I don’t buy any dairy products except butter and a little cheese and the cheese is mainly for my grown kid. My husband can’t eat dairy at all. I can eat it – I just don’t care for it very much.

1 Like

One of our go to dinners during crabbing season is salmon stuffed with a mixture of A LOT of crab, spinach, cream cheese, a little mayonnaise, and grated mozzarella.

The key is that rather than cutting an opening in the salmon and stuffing a little of the crab mixture in, we wrap the salmon around a large portion of the crab, so there’s at least as much crab as salmon. Then bake at 350 for 18 minutes.

9 Likes

:drooling_face:

Dinner at @sherpa’s.

10 Likes

I have a friend whose family ate pizza every Friday night. At a restaurant, fancy or cheap, order delivery, homemade, but always pizza. Every Friday.

Another friend had a 10 year old who was a picky eater, so she had a schedule:

Monday - Breakfast for dinner
Tues - something with meat (he didn’t like meat so he could pick but something with meat)
Wed - pasta
Thurs - fast food (it was his boy scout meeting night)
Friday - one bottle of white wine (her son went to his father’s for dinner)

Worked for her and she didn’t have to think about dinner all day at work

1 Like

Now I am wondering why we don’t do this.

7 Likes

This has been our MO for years, although we do skip occasionally. We make our own crust and sauce, and DH gets to play with a very, very hot grill. Every time he slides a pizza off the stone he says, “This is the best one yet!” :roll_eyes: I have put my foot down on the pizza oven he has been coveting forever because you know what our budget needs? A 900-degree specialty appliance that requires 487 more pizzas to pay for itself.

Hey, I guess this habit has been going on for so long, I didn’t even think of it in answer to this thread.

3 Likes

This jogged my memory. My mother made homemade pizza every Sunday night, and it was the one time we were allowed to drink soda with it as we watched 60 Minutes. I am all for a weekly pizza dinner, although my waistline is not.

3 Likes

As a kid we had pizza every Friday night - take out - plain. This was when Catholics were supposed to not eat meat on Friday so this was the way to do that.

3 Likes

Same. I think this was my mothers way (she was raised Jewish but married my Catholic father and they agreed to raise the children Catholic) to simply conform to the “no meat” rules but actually get out of having to make dinner. :blush: :pizza:

3 Likes

Cold cuts every Saturday evening, as each of us had different events at various times.

1 Like

We still have cheese pizza or fish on most Fridays! I grew up in a very Catholic community

2 Likes

I’m in the breakfast crowd (and yes I’m a morning exerciser and yes I need the exercise for myriad physical and mental reasons). I always eat kefir or yogurt with cereal, chocolate chips, and fruit, and a big cup of tea. And yes there’s probably a lot of sugar but so far it’s fine. I typically have first breakfast around 6am after exercising and then second breakfast at work around 8:30 which is something more savory like a bagel with cream cheese and vegetables. I eat lunch in snippets and I could easily not eat anything after 3pm without suffering. But I feel horrible if I don’t eat breakfast, and quickly, after exercising.

I don’t ever feel the need to change up what I eat, but sometimes my family wants new food and I’m fine with that too, not picky.

2 Likes

Last night, we had oven-baked king salmon with a potatoes and zucchinis side. Just cube potatoes, pan fry in olive oil with garlic until almost done and then add cubes of zucchini and finish cooking. My husband said he could eat that nightly! :laughing: King salmon is now cheaper than steak, so if it was available year round, my husband could have his wish!

3 Likes

Another person on the salmon bandwagon here. I have it at least once a week—though I mix it up a bit so it isn’t the exact same dinner each time — maybe that’s outside the question’s rules. The constant is salmon cooked in a toaster oven to 120F using a probe thermometer. I detest salmon skin so I bake it on an aluminum-foil lined tray and the skin conveniently sticks to the foil. Using a fish spatula I can easily separate the flesh from the skin when it is done cooking.

For topping the salmon options are a beurre blanc, a pat of butter, a pat of pesto from Costco (frozen in a silicone ice tray), mustard cream sauce, olive oil. I serve it with a side of steamed vegetables and occasionally boiled small red potatoes. A glass of wine finishes it off.

3 Likes

I love my salmon burgers. I can eat those one or more times/week. I sauté some garlic, mushrooms, onions and spinach and add it on top. I also add avocado to it as well.

I also love my daily breakfast, which right now is oatmeal and eggs. My favorite meal of the day. I cannot miss a meal, because I would definitely fall short of my daily goal for protein intake (1.5-2.0 grams/kg).

2 Likes

I’ve eaten the same breakfast every day for about 8 years, lol (smoothie w/protein powder, almond milk, berries, spirulina, collagen, ice).

I would eat the same dinner every night too if it were just me (Dave’s killer bread, cottage cheese, homemade vegetable soup or salad).

Cooking for hub brings in a rotation of salmon, homemade pizza, grilled chicken. It’s not exactly the same meal every night but it’s not far away :laughing:. We need to expand lol.

3 Likes

I eat the same breakfast most days. I make chia pudding with unsweetened almond or oat milk. I usually do three days worth at a time. In the morning I add fruit, nuts or sometimes a bit of coconut yogurt.
I used to workout on an empty stomach but about 6 years ago had a weird unexplained health issue. Since that time I need to eat before exercising or I have dizziness and heart rate irregularities.

1 Like