The Dorm Life: Bedroom Privacy and Decor

<p>I will be transferring to SUNY Binghamton for Spring 2012. I'm most likely going to share a room with one other girl. The bathroom may be communal (everyone on the floor will share a large bathroom, like a gym) or suite (a few bedrooms will share a "suite" bathroom i think).</p>

<p>I'm concerned about maximizing my privacy. I feel drapes that block light will be best around the bed, to block out creeper faces. :P
can i really buy these things now, tho i haven't seen the room? How do i even set this up?</p>

<p>I'm fine with any decor from the roommate, of course. all i care for, decor wise, is lighting. I plan on making our room sunny looking, so when it's cloudy/rainy it'll be uplifting. is there any curtains that create a sense of sunlight?</p>

<p>You don't need a privacy curtain around your bed. Just close the door if you don't want "creeper faces".</p>

<p>closing the door doesn't mean i wont be bothered by my roommate bc we share the bedroom. or are Bing's dorm rooms different from what i picture?</p>

<p>I thought the curtains function was obvious, but i guess not. so here are some reasons i find a curtain useful. if a point i make can be reasoned against then please do so:</p>

<p>-If the roommate is studying late and has a light on i can sleep.
-I won't see the activity around me or the activity won't be as intruding; no natural light, no people. of course this would only work to a certain degree but at least the issue of sight is cared for. so if the roommate has a different sleeping time from me i can sort of sleep w/o being too badly interrupted. </p>

<p>-if i want to read on my bed i won't bother my roommate who is asleep.
-being in a small enclosed dark space is cozy to me. </p>

<p>i've never worked with a dark curtain around my bed since i've only shared my room with close family members. i'm not sure if this would backfire.</p>

<p>The light will most likely be on your roommate's desk and will not disturb you.</p>

<p>If there's too much "activity" in your room, you can ask your roommate's friends to leave (as just your roommate isn't going to cause too much of a stir), but really it's not going to make a difference whether or not you can see it- it's the noise. </p>

<p>Again, your light won't bother your roommate that much. </p>

<p>If you really want a dark place, then be my guest. But I really don't think it's going to work the way you want it to especially if your beds are lofted.</p>

<p>^And if the light isn't on the roommates desk, it's above and the curtains won't block it out.</p>

<p>Seriously, these curtains aren't needed. I don't know anyone who had curtains around their bed when they shared rooms with someone, and I can probably name a good 100 rooms I went into freshman year.</p>

<p>It just seems really weird to me.</p>

<p>(Curtain exception: when people jokingly made forts -under- their bed).</p>

<p>I don't know anyone either who has curtains around their bed in their dorm.</p>

<p>You don't even know how your room is going to be arranged yet so it's kind of hard to be planning stuff like this.</p>

<p>Yeah, most people don't have curtains. You just kind of learn how to share a space with another person in terms of light and such (and everything else). Sometimes that means that you have to communicate with them (asking them to turn the lights off/on) but it's all about compromise.</p>

<p>"The light will most likely be on your roommate's desk and will not disturb you."
ah, said as if you knew me. </p>

<p>"Seriously, these curtains aren't needed. I don't know anyone who had curtains around their bed when they shared rooms with someone, and I can probably name a good 100 rooms I went into freshman year.
...(Curtain exception: when people jokingly made forts -under- their bed)."
utilizing bunk bed space itself creates a sense of your own space, since you section it off from other people. i don't consider personal space a joking matter. unfortunately i don't think i'll get the chance to make one.
also, just because this setup is "weird" or strays from the norm doesn't mean it's a bad idea, so i don't consider this a valid point.</p>

<p>anyway, it is a hassle to work on a curtain in a dorm room, so i intend to drop the project. of course the idea still sounds appealing. i guess most people don't understand since they don't prioritize these things. </p>

<p>so far no one has suggested anything about the curtains meant to create a sunny atmosphere.</p>

<p>Sunny atmosphere? You're hiding in the dark... I don't understand what you're asking. Bright colors would make it feel sunnier, but only thick black curtains will do everything else.</p>

<p>We've all been in dorms so we're speaking from experience. Curtains just really aren't possible, practical, or necessary. Wait til you get there to decide.</p>

<p>It's not normally done because it's kind of a dumb idea. Sorry...you just don't seem really understand how most dorm rooms are set up, I think.</p>

<p>Actually, I can't even figure out how the OP would hang the curtains.....in a dorm room?</p>

<p>One suggestion ... bunk your bed up high with your desk under the bunk. This will have two positives ... first, with you bed on top of the bunk it will be more private and darker ... second, with your desk under the bunk it is sort of like a cave and more private. (PS - and a fair number of folks bunk their beds so this is more typical ... the school may even have kits)</p>

<p>^ seconded
loft it and make a desk cave</p>

<p>Curtains around the bed would make me think that the person is engaging in a one-person orgy. It's really creepy.</p>