in the next couple of month’s the U.S. economy is about to grow and do so in a strong and fairly rapid manor. my suggestion after the 1st of the year… for anyone having a hard time finding a job since graduating college or wanting to trade up you should use an employment agency that offers temp to hire positions. not all agencies are created equal (and bigger is not always better) some have recruiters in sub specialties too.
remember you should never pay for finding a job. the employers pay the agency.(a flat rate or an hourly mark up) you basically are an onsite employee for the agency for 3 to 4 months while the company tries you out. (different than a direct hire via an agency) and you will get exposed to companies that under normal circumstances you may never come into contact with and you have a much better chance of getting hired because when you go in for an interview you maybe one of 4 or 5 people competing for the job instead of 100x or 1000x hoping to even get your resume reviewed let alone an interview!
you can type in your zip code to find agencies near you and check if they have they have temp to hire option. if they do and you are looking for employment or better employment …reach out to them.
Economy may or may not take off. Can anyone here read the future? I may be wrong (and I hope that I am) but I think there may be a retrenchment. The agency information could be helpful, though.
Be careful with those staffing agencies, especially with Kelly. Some of them will treat their temps as “slaves” that they “sell” to employers and will contractually prevent the employer from offering a permanent position to a temp-ie (Mr. had to fight one of these slavery places to hire his temp permanently).
Bottom line: read the contract and review things like Glassdoor.
I was not endorsing kelly , I mentioned them because they are well known national company with an IT division.
bunsenburner, the idea is you are hired as a temp to hire …never as a temp . the company and employee both have agreed to a trial and transition in a stated period of time. there is an agreed upon cost to employer and a pre-negotiated amount of time owed.
I have started hiring this way and would never go back to posting ads . when I first was told to try it I said that sounds like a waste of money to my company but I ran it by my boss and he said try it. now accept for the occasional exception where a super trusted employee recommends somebody it is the only way we hire.
I have zero confidence either. Just because bank stocks are soaring, pulling others along, doesn’t tell me that the economy is roaring. If companies get taxed less and have the opportunity to repatriate their money without any conditions, it doesn’t mean they’ll expand and give raises. They could keep stockpiling their money and doing stock buybacks so the CEO’s get their payouts. This might help the stock market, but it doesn’t help workers or job seekers. Interest rates have risen significantly already, so there could be increased debt for consumers, inflation, and no commensurate pay raises.
If anyone has a crystal ball, please let me borrow it!
we are gearing up for hiring and raises starting next week. my boss just gave generous bonuses(always does) but this year key people got really generous bonuses. people I talk to across industries are gearing up too. I do not play the stock market so I do not use it as a barometer but it has really skyrocketed in the last 6 weeks . you can revisit what I said in 3-4-5 months and give me a thumbs up or thumbs down. (figuratively)
There is something to this, what exactly is not understood yet.
However, I know a group of investors who were briefed last week and they were told to simply ignore specific useless regulations that increased their costs and lengthened their hiring processes. These will not be enforced come 1/21/2017, so companies are ramping up to hire and produce products, which are currently stymied in the nonsensical regulatory pipeline. It is unbelievable how silly some of those regulations are.
I hope you’re right but I know someone who just lost their job and others who are concerned about losing jobs because imported components will likely face an import tariff going forward which will affect their companies job growth, outlook, and prosperity. Time will tell and the results are unpredictable.
Many in my career are concerned about what happens to labor, with so many anti-labor people in charge. Airline industry workers watching the specter of Carl Icahn reappearing …it’s absolutely jaw dropping to us.
Around this area we’re still seeing layoffs and stagnant wages. My friends in certain fields are terrified that they’re going to lose their jobs once certain policies are implemented by the soon-to-be prez.
Not sure why working through a temp agency is “news”. For years folks have been taking jobs weigh temp agencies…and those have turned into permanent positions.
Is there some reason to think that this is some new and different idea? It’s really not.
airlines have a lock on profits…after consolidating and reducing capacity the sky is the limit for the foreseeable future (pun intended)
it is not good for consumers and no doubt we could use some more airlines (I was just reading today that is not going to happen anytime soon) but carl icahn will not ruin or improve airlines. lack of competition , tsa harassment(security theater) and people feeling nickle and dimed is what has/will continue to make air travel miserable for the foreseeable future.(IMO)
“Is there some reason to think that this is some new and different idea? It’s really not.”
yes employers removing themselves from the traditional way of searching and hiring is becoming more and more popular with employers.(pre screened employees on a 3 or 4 month test run) it is disconnected from a modern job search concept to think of staffing agencies as “temp agencies”(some of those do still exist) many people are out of date or new to the employment search it is good to learn about the concept. since this is a growing HR approach many temp agencies have naturally filled this niche. this is not the same as a headhunter…who would go out and look and recruit a new ceo for a company like boeing or google.
most “temp agency’s” are now staffing agency’s.I just thought mentioning the idea of people going to a staffing agency to get a temp to hire position could benefit some folks.(and it will) sorry it is not really “news” or helpful to you.