The 'girls' are dense, should I do the ultrasound follow up mammogram?

<p>The annual mammogram came back the same as always…nothing found. Last years’ report included additional information on breast tissue density, I’m classified as level 3 (on a scale of 4). Last years report also stated that the denser the tissue the greater the chance that small tumors could be missed.</p>

<p>This year I get the same report, nothing found, except that now there’s a form letter, signed by my doc, which recommends a followup ultrasound scan. Although there is no history of cancer (breast of otherwise) in my family, the letter states my history puts me in a high risk category. Hmmm…not sure how to interpret this other than maybe they are referring to my recent start of hormone therapy (bio identical estrogen patch and bio identical progesterone).</p>

<p>Has anyone else received this type of report and did you decide to do the ultrasound?</p>

<p>I got this last year. In fact, the radiologist called me back to his office to show me how dense my breast tissue is. My insurance company pays zilch for mammo, which costs about $800. This year, I will be on new insurance and I will definitely do the ultrasound. For all it is worth, when I had my first mammo, the MD at the hospital also showed me the “pictures”. Every few years,I would do the ultrasound. </p>

<p>So, dietz, I would go to the place that uses the absolute best equipment. With no family history, I would not worry. If my insurance covered most of the charge, I would do the extra test. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that I am not a professional, just a consumer. </p>

<p>I did the ultrasound last year and they found nothing. This year they want me to do another one, and I said no.</p>

<p>Being dense doesn’t put you at higher risk for developing breast cancer. You are just at higher risk for them not being able to detect a small tumor if there is one. I did the ultrasound this year. It was covered by insurance, so no big deal. I don’t know if I would do it every year.</p>

<p>We have a grandfather (actually grand mothered) health insurance plan. I’ll check with them tomorrow about coverage.</p>

<p>I got a similar report last year and asked my gyno about it - as I had never been told before they were dense. He told me it is required under the law to inform patients if they are dense and the level. My gyno did not recommend an ultra sound during our discussion about the finding. </p>

<p>Haven’t had my yearly yet so don’t know if it will be accompanied by a letter from my doctor suggesting ultrasound. </p>

<p>My mom had the same issue. She got a dense tissue report (required by my state) in the mail, along with a totally normal negative mammogram. No history of breast cancer in her family other than her sister. Her doctor said nothing about it (but her doc isn’t the best and has let important things slip by before). So I made her push for an ultrasound, which she got. They did find something in one breast, which required a biopsy. Luckily, it was a non-cancerous cyst. </p>

<p>Now she’s requested to have two mammograms a year, which I think is added protection. So I would follow through with it. A negative mammogram for you doesn’t necessarily mean that you don’t have cancer. It might be helpful to look into technology that will provide a clearer picture, like ultrasound. The downside is that the picture is so clear that it can raise false alarms, like it did for my mom. </p>

<p>Like someone said above, you aren’t at a higher risk for breast cancer. But you are at a higher risk for having cancer and letting it go undetected. For an illness where early detection is key, I think you should go for added protection by making sure you get your yearly mammogram, and stepping it up for a clearer image (ultrasound). </p>

<p>Don’t want to freak anyone here out, but I have dense breasts and never really knew what it meant in terms of mammos until I felt a lump and went in for a mammogram, which read as a benign fibroadenoma. The radiologist failed to send me for an ultrasound which I was later told by my oncologist would likely have shown the lump to be what it was-invasive breast cancer. No family history, no risk factors, but unfortunately that didn’t save me from surgery, radiation, and a full course of chemotherapy. If insurance will pay I’d do it.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@editorial/documents/document/acspc-039989.pdf”>http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@editorial/documents/document/acspc-039989.pdf&lt;/a&gt; indicates that high breast density is both associated with a higher risk of breast cancer and decreased effectiveness of mammograms detecting breast cancer.</p>

<p>I was just going to post the exact thing ucb.
I have dense tissue, also, which makes the images harder to read.
<a href=“Dense Breasts May Obscure Mammogram Results - The New York Times”>Dense Breasts May Obscure Mammogram Results - The New York Times;
Another thing I have been putting off.
Why can’t they just put me to sleep and do my mammogram, and colonoscopy and fillings all at once?
Id like a manipedi while they are at it too.</p>

<p>I’ve got dense breasts. I’ve had followup ultrasounds. I’ve then had calcifications which they’ve then checked up with MRIs. I’m supposed to get checked every six months - I feel like all they are doing is making it more likely to get breast cancer from all the extra screenings and stress of waiting for test results. But what do I know? I’m overdue for the next check up. My mother who also had dense breasts got the same run around - she did eventually get breast cancer, but not till she was almost 80.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Be careful – mammograms involve radiation exposure, which could increase cancer risks.</p>

<p>There is some variation in recommendations about when to start mammogram screening and how frequently to do it. Note that recommendations do vary based on factors other than age (including breast density).</p>

<p><a href=“Outcomes of screening mammography by frequency, breast density, and postmenopausal hormone therapy - PubMed”>Outcomes of screening mammography by frequency, breast density, and postmenopausal hormone therapy - PubMed;
<a href=“http://www.cpmc.org/about/press/news2011/mammogramfrequency.html”>http://www.cpmc.org/about/press/news2011/mammogramfrequency.html&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“Customize Starting Age and Frequency of Mammograms | UC San Francisco”>http://www.ucsf.edu/news/2011/07/10165/customize-starting-age-and-frequency-mammograms&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“Johns Hopkins Breast Center”>Johns Hopkins Breast Center;
<a href=“http://www.stopcancerfund.org/p-breast-cancer/2012-update-when-should-women-start-regular-mammograms-40-50-and-how-often-is-regular/”>http://www.stopcancerfund.org/p-breast-cancer/2012-update-when-should-women-start-regular-mammograms-40-50-and-how-often-is-regular/&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/breastcancerearlydetection/breast-cancer-early-detection-acs-recs-mammograms”>http://www.cancer.org/cancer/breastcancer/moreinformation/breastcancerearlydetection/breast-cancer-early-detection-acs-recs-mammograms&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/adult/breast/screening-guidelines-breast”>http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/adult/breast/screening-guidelines-breast&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>There’s been some research to indicate that mammography before a certain age (50?) doesn’t extend life if cancer is found…it just extends the treatment time. I do have regular mammos…gotta think that I’ll be the one to beat the odds. </p>

<p>I’ve had 3D digital mammos. No ultrasound yet.</p>

<p>Same issue here! So far, I have gone with the follow-up recommendations and had both repeat mammograms and ultrasound (twice). Nothing shows up. Since I have no history of breast cancer in my family, I have decided I am not going to do any more repeat mammograms. I don’t want the radiation exposure. I will do ultrasounds, but this year I explained in advance to the technician that it was hard to get good pictures and asked her to do whatever was necessary to optimize them. Seemed to work. First time I didn’t need to repeat in four years.</p>

<p>I am ok with spending the money on the ultrasound, but I can see how finances would play a key role in the decision. </p>

<p>Jym mentioned a 3d digital mammogram. </p>

<p>My walking buddy had calcifications light up her regular digital mammogram last year. Drs sent her to university of pennsylvania, where she had 3 d mammogram-
Resulted in masscectomy, to prevent what would certainly have become cancer.
She considers herself lucky, no chemo, or radiation, and to have this sophisticated imaging equipment one hour away.</p>

<p>You might want to check into, this technology. 3D mammography
<a href=“http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2014/06/conant/”>http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/news/News_Releases/2014/06/conant/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>

</p>

<p>total aside, but tangentially related-- going to hear the results of DHs prostate biopsy today. Am nervous. Anyone been through this with a spouse?</p>

<p>After my last mammo. last year I got a letter in the mail saying the test showed that I “might” have dense breast tissue. So what does that mean? Might? You would think you have it or you don’t. I’m due for a mammogram soon at a different radiology center (we moved since last years mammo). Hope everything will be OK. No family history of any kind of cancer. </p>

<p>Not sure if you are talking to me, packmom- but unfortunately DH’s fa and bro both ahd PC.</p>

<p>And dense- it either is or isnt! They can either see into the tissue or they cant.</p>

<p>“the letter states my history puts me in a high risk category. Hmmm…not sure how to interpret this other than maybe they are referring to my recent start of hormone therapy (bio identical estrogen patch and bio identical progesterone)”</p>

<p>I don’t think that would be a risk factor, at all.</p>

<p>I kind of wonder about the ultrasound followups. They seem to do those at the drop of a hat. I’ve had a few (never found anything) and what insurance pays for them is crazy. Thousands of dollars. I guess I don’t mind doing them since I’m not paying, but I don’t know if they are jumping at them because of the cost, or just being extra careful.</p>