The "How many people in your parents' household will be college students" question?

<p>Does the "How many people in your parents' household will be college students" question on the FAFSA form increase eligibility of financial aid as the number of college students in a household increase? I'm going to put in the truth, of course, but I'm just wondering.</p>

<p>It splits the EFC. Warning: each of my kids’ schools required proof that the sibling was enrolled in another undergrad program and the proof was sent directly from one school to the other after enrollment. If I had lied, the school would have readjusted my kid’s financial aid and I would have had to return the $.</p>

<p>Yes if there are two dependent college students in the household, that will be taken into consideration and FAFSA EFC will be divided more or less between them.</p>

<p>The question only applies to siblings who are in college. If either of your parents are in college, you the student cannot include them.</p>

<p>According to “Paying For College Without Going Broke” (2010 ed):</p>

<p>For 2 kids in college, the FAFSA will divide the parents contribution equally, however, for the CSS, the contribution is calculated as follows:</p>

<p>2 kids, 60% of total contribution to each student
3 kids, 45%
4 or more, 35%</p>

<p>family, that is an interesting comment. Schools using the PROFILE all have varying formulas. My guess is that what you are reporting is NOT universal to all Profile schools.</p>

<p>I understand that. I was just pointing out that having more than one child in college doesn’t necessarily divide your EFC equally, especially for schools requiring the CSS.</p>

<p>I’ve never understood why, if paying for college is supposed to be a combination of long-term savings, current income, and loans, EFC is reduced so much for having multiple kids in college at once.</p>

<p>I could see some reduction to account for the income portion of it. But a 50% reduction for two kids basically assumes that all money for college is coming from current income.</p>

<p>Why should someone get such a high reward for having their kids close together?</p>

<p>I was just pointing out that having more than one child in college doesn’t necessarily divide your EFC equally, especially for schools requiring the CSS.</p>

<p>Agree. Not that it ever applied to us, as our kids are eight years apart ;), but colleges using PROFILE seem to assume a certain % to be the student contribution.</p>

<p>I was amazed to find out that the federal formula evenly divides the parents contribution. That is really beneficial to those who had their children close together. And for those with twins or triplets, wow! I am not complaining, though. Just wishing someone told me this about 17 years ago, or I wouldn’t have tried to space my children out. LoL</p>

<p>Of course, the more students, the more aid! Next year I will have two kids as full-time students and I expect my older son’s package to be a bit better!</p>

<p>I saved for college for 15 years for both of my sons, 22 months apart! We had them “close” so they would grow up at the same time, with possibly the same age interests. I am also an “older” mother, I had to have them close! Both will be in colleges that cost 45,000+, on a teacher’s salary??? Give me my break!</p>

<p>Absolutely, college prices are outrageous! Unfortunately my 3 sons are several years apart. We weren’t really thinking about college too much when we were having babies. I am still hopeful we can make it work.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Mindysue…your older child’s package will likely be a bit better ONLY if he attends a school th that meets full need for all accepted students. If that is the case, his need will be more with a sibling in college and his aid should increase. BUT if the school does NOT guarantee to meet full need for ALL students, you may not see much of a change at all. My son went to a top 60 university that did not meet full need. The year he was a senior, his little sib was a freshman. DS got $250 in additional grant aid…not even enough to pay for a term of books (but every penny counts so we were grateful). DS’s FAFSA EFC was 1/2 of what it had previously been…well over $20,000 less.</p>

<p>My daughter is 20 mos older than my twin boys. We have 529’s set up for all three of them but will need all breaks we can get :). Too bad colleges don’t offer sibling discounts.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I believe there are some that do. But it’s not a huge discount.</p>

<p>thumper1, can you expand a little more on your comments? We will be new to financial aid beginning in 2013. I have twins enrolling in college that fall, and another child following 2 years later. I assumed that when the 3rd child started, financial aid would be better for the first two as well. Is that not necessarily the case, and if not, what exactly should we be looking at NOW for potential schools that might make an adjustment when the first two are juniors?</p>

<p>Mum2…most colleges do NOT guarantee to meet full need for ALL accepted students. That means that your EFC (family contribution) is the MINIMUM you will be expected to pay for college. Most schools just do not have the financial resources to cover the financial aid needs for all of their students. There are some schools that DO meet full financial need for all students and they are amongst the MOST competitive universities in the country. Getting admitted is the first hurdle for students wishing to attend these schools.</p>

<p>You have a couple of issues…While you could find schools that will increase the aid for all of your kids while they ALL are in college at the same time, you need to also realize that schools will DECREASE the aid for your third child when the twins graduate and she is still in undergrad school…so consider that too.</p>

<p>The best thing to do is to complete a net price calculator for the college(s) your kids are interested in. This will give you an ESTIMATE of potential family contribution and aid at each school. BUT it’s only an estimate.</p>

<p>The other thing you should consider is looking at schools whereby your kiddos would receive guaranteed MERIT aid (based on their GPA/SAT scores usually). This type of aid is usually guaranteed for four years or five sometimes…IF the student maintains a certain GPA while in college. If your child is a competitive admit for schools that are highly competitive AND meet full need (remember the SCHOOL determines your need…not you), then your child would likely be competitive for merit awards at other schools.</p>

<p>

If you can’t afford $45000 schools, don’t send them there!</p>

<p>If I buy a second car 2 years after I buy the first car, the banks holding the loans don’t let me make half-payments for each car for the time I have two car loans at once. Why should you expect a college to do this?</p>

<p>Why do I get punished for spacing my kids out?</p>

<p>^^^you don’t get punished, they just assume you have time to recover financially.</p>

<p>There are some schools that give twin/sibling discounts. Sometimes the students have to attend at the same time for it to count. I believe GWU has a “buy one, get one half-price” policy - at least they did a few years ago when I was looking into it. I have twins, but they are not identical and did not want to be in the same school however I know identical twins who have gone to the same school.</p>