The internet and how it affects college life?

<p>Here is the article I want to accentuate in this discussion:</p>

<p>The</a> effects of the internet: Fast forward | The Economist</p>

<p>When I first wanted to make this thread, I wanted to initially involve solely Facebook: after all, it's the one web page on the internet that connects us to everyone that is important to us (most of the time), so naturally we spend a little part of everyday on it. Though, the internet is so short term. We always want instant gratification; we visit a web page, and go to the next very quickly. That's Facebook for you, and it takes A LOT of college students's time. Think about every web page you visit every day and whether it has an impact on your life. I think there's a huge difference between reading front page Yahoo news/ CNNvs NY Times Opinion/Economist articles; one deals with interesting/breaking news (notice how people who look short term simply want to be constantly updated as to what's going on), the other deals with analysis and critical thinking. Perhaps this discussion ventures more deeply than just college campuses, but I think it can relate to overall American education and political awareness. The one medium which allows Americans to be knowledgeable about policy is the same that makes it harder for us to concentrate. As college students become more dependable on the internet, we also start to make sure we do stay connected to the internet with our *phones.. thoughts???</p>

<p>IMO, sifting through all the info on the internet, finding what you want, and synthesizing it is a skill. It's a skill that's learned by exposure to lots of info: Facebook, "Yahoo headlines," etc., </p>

<p>If this was your only skill, would that be a problem? Yes.</p>

<p>But you can still learn to think critically and develop your thoughts. Even if the internet does shorten your attention span, you can offset this by reading books, working on long puzzles, etc., These develop a different subset of skills. Which, by the way, can be done online: EPUB ebooks are available to all because of the internet. </p>

<p>People aren't one dimensional. They can possess more than one skillset. If increased exposure to constant information shortens your attention span, then you offset it with other tasks/skills. You have the right to balance your life.</p>

<p>No one's preventing you from looking up at the sky and noticing stars at night. The internet simply gives you a chance to do something else if you want.</p>

<p>I was going to come up with a thoughtful response to this, but I've found a much more interesting thing elsewhere on the internet.</p>

<p>You're so witty</p>

<p>I know; I demand an award.</p>

<p>
[quote]
From a society that valued the creation of a unique storehouse of ideas in each individual, man is moving to a socially constructed mind that values speed and group approval over originality and creativity.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Can't say I agree with that at all. Creativity is all about juxtaposing various ideas quickly to come up with new and innovate ideas and solutions. Go watch any video by IDEO (a prominent design firm) and you'll see that rapidly producing ideas is much more effective than focusing on one method/idea for a long period of time. The internet is finely tuned towards this sort of thinking.</p>

<p>I think a lot of people underestimate the ability of a small solution to solve a big problem. For example, search for "Sweat the Small Stuff" on TED.com. In many cases, there's no need for a long-term, in-depth analysis for a problem -- differences can be made from the smallest change.</p>