The laziest person on earth wants to go to Harvard medical. . .

<p>I'm not going to lie. I am the epitome of sloth. Unfortunately, I regret my high school career because I did absolutely NOTHING ( I cringe internally when I think about it). My grades were mediocre and I had no real extracurriculars because I didn't feel like doing anything and I was very scared of socialization. I know I'm capable if I apply myself but the problem is actually applying myself, I'm afraid. Long story short, I don't want to mess up getting into a medical school by letting my laziness ruin my life. . .so far I have very good grades because I actually read the textbook and listen to the professors in class. I've researched so many things extensively, the gpa, mcat scores, research ect. necessary to get into a good medical school ( <em>cough</em>Harvard<em>cough</em>). But is there anything that I should know that is commonly overlooked or really anything maybe specific to Harvard I should be informed about? </p>

<p>I just want to do myself proud and prove to myself that I am capable of accomplishing this ( and even if I don't, knowing I tried my best is okay too. . .)</p>

<p>I’ll take you at your word that you’re turning things around. If you truly are a lazy scholar, then you shouldn’t expect any med school admissions.</p>

<p>That being said, I’ll direct you to discover “Why Harvard Med over, say, Indiana University or Univ of Mich Medical school”</p>

<p>Do you know the difference between them? Hint: ask your own family physician.</p>

<p>you might want to repost your queries on the pre-med forum as well.</p>

<p>What grade are you in?</p>

<p>Seems to be a college Freshman</p>

<p>…when I hear the word lazy and wanting to “go” to medical school…I cringe…as a member of the “profession”…I feel/fear for the future patients of America!</p>

<p>Well a freshman is 3 years from med school. It takes a lot of effort to get into A med school. May be OP should aim first at getting into ANY?</p>

<p>Figure out which track you are interested in at HMS, the science track or second pathway? The requirements for math and science are different between them. Take a look at the MIT/HMS combined programs, in particular the majors of the students who were accepted, and their lists of publications.</p>

<p>Start research now, and plan on continuing it throughout your undergrad years. Shadow and volunteer extensively too. In addition to stellar grades and MCAT, those ECs are necessary for many competitive med schools.</p>

<p>It is a very great deal of work, and pushes most people beyond what they thought their limits would be, but is a good preparation for med school, which is harder still, and internship/residency, harder again, but in a different way.</p>

<p>You will get over being lazy quickly if you are serious about medicine, or probably decide to go into another field. These days, lazy doesn’t get you far in any field, though.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>My wife is a physician. She can’t give you a very good reason to go to Harvard or Stanford instead of your state medical school. Medical school, she says, is basically a very fancy trade school, where they teach you a huge volume of very technical information and a particular set of skills. But when it’s all said and done, the kidneys work the same way whether you study them at Johns Hopkins or the University of Oklahoma. (No offense intended, Sooners.)</p>

<p>And, really, a lazy person shouldn’t go to any medical school. It’s an incredible amount of work. And internship can be an order of magnitude harder.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I framed my reply to assume the poster was being melodramatic and was committed to a new path. If indeed, he/she is very lazy, then I’m fully confident that the Medical schools and licensing boards in the Western Hemisphere will rightfully reject the OP.</p>

<p>OP needs to prove himself. All the good intentions in the world can’t replace that. If he’s really a freshman, it would help to see how he does with freshman premed classes. Otherwise it’s just talk. Goals are good but it’s follow through that matters.</p>

<p>Only a few of you kind of answered my question, but thank you all for taking the time to respond anyways.</p>

<p>well for med school admissions, write good personal statements. Also, do research (more intensive than simply “experience”)</p>