The People to People Leadership Summit and the National Society of High School Scho

<p>.....lars.</p>

<p>Are both scams, right?</p>

<p>People to People isn't a scam. It provides tours for teenagers, which can be of varying quality. The problem is that it markets itself as a huge honor, which it really isn't, and it's very expensive. </p>

<p>National Society of High School Scholars also markets itself as an honor, but they will send their offer to practically anyone. </p>

<p>Both organizations work hard to sound prestigious, and they do fool a lot of gullible people, but neither impresses admissions representatives.</p>

<p>Thanks! 10char</p>

<p>Fireflyscout is lying. He was famously (infamously?) rejected to one of these programs two years ago and it still very bitter about it.</p>

<p>They are very good prestigious things.</p>

<p>^lol, how do you get "rejected" from any of these. They're based on teacher's rec. I was "invited" to participate by both programs and turned them down. I have also talked to admission offices and all of them told me that these "prestigious things" are glorified field trips or marketing gimmicks that carry no weight whatsoever. They are not scams, but they have no benefits whatsoever except the experience you might have at their field trips, which could be fun.</p>

<p>You might also want to read this NYT article for reference:
<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/education/edlife/leadership-t.html?scp=1&sq=it%27s%20an%20honor&st=cse%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/19/education/edlife/leadership-t.html?scp=1&sq=it%27s%20an%20honor&st=cse&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Take it from a graduating college senior, I say save your money. Instead, you should spend it on a really good SAT/ACT prep class. That would help you a lot more in college admissions and might even net you a few scholarships.</p>

<p>colt_ford, that's really funny! You didn't get one thing right in that statement about me</p>

<p>I think colt_ ford is joshing.</p>

<p>There have been many threads about this. People to People isn't a big honor, but many people have reported that they had a very good experience. I think any program that just gets you listed in a directory is essentially a scam.</p>

<p>If your glossy, ostentatious invitation comes from someone with a famous last name (e.g. Nobel, Eisenhower) and the bottom-line cost is very difficult to find, be cautious. I don't know if "scam" is the right word - the programs contain what they say they do - but the "honor" is simply that you were included in some list of smarter than the average students from your school that the guidance counselor provided. For a couple or three thousand dollars, you'll be part of a huge group herded into large auditoria or basketball arenas to hear famous people give the same talks that you can see at home for free on C-SPAN, or for somewhat more you'll get a goodwill tour with other students that's considerably more costly than one your family could have arranged. These things are big fundraisers for their organizers, and they make their $ by falsely triggering the pride of loving parents.</p>