The residential real estate market is starting to turn around...

<p>I might be a few months off…</p>

<p>and real estate is local…</p>

<p>But I see low inventory in many areas…
Sales increasing…
Stuff that hasn’t sold for months getting multiple offers…</p>

<p>A friend of mine just got multiple offers on 2 houses in the Sacramento area…</p>

<p>Obviously…I can’t see everything… :)</p>

<p>I read that there was a survey and 72% of the areas surveyed…renting is cheaper than owning…</p>

<p>That is going to change…</p>

<p>I know a lot of people think real estate is never going to come back…</p>

<p>But it is…</p>

<p>You are right, it definitely is, and you’re correct about it all being local. Calculated Risk has come out saying that the bottom is here:
[The</a> Housing Bottom Is Here - Business Insider](<a href=“http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-06/markets/31028770_1_housing-bottom-price-indexes-house-prices]The”>http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-06/markets/31028770_1_housing-bottom-price-indexes-house-prices)</p>

<p>I grew up here…I see a lot sales pending…</p>

<p>[Alain</a> Pinel Realtors - Property Search](<a href=“http://www.apr.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?qs=1&WebID=7EP9G&mls=RETS_GSFAR&class=RESI&zip=94122&st=active,pending&clsn=ResidentialProperty,CommonInterest]Alain”>http://www.apr.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?qs=1&WebID=7EP9G&mls=RETS_GSFAR&class=RESI&zip=94122&st=active,pending&clsn=ResidentialProperty,CommonInterest)</p>

<p>Calculated risk is a great site.</p>

<p>[Owning</a> is now cheaper than renting | Marketplace from American Public Media](<a href=“http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/owning-now-cheaper-renting]Owning”>Owning is now cheaper than renting - Marketplace)</p>

<p>[Most</a> Americans Want a Walkable Neighborhood, Not a Big House - Lifestyle - GOOD](<a href=“http://www.good.is/post/most-americans-want-a-walkable-neighborhood-not-a-big-house/]Most”>Most Americans Want a Walkable Neighborhood, Not a Big House - GOOD)</p>

<p>A walkable neighborhood is extremely important to me…so I thought I would post the link. :)</p>

<p>Maybe the Chinese are realizing their wealth? Maybe they are discovering that living in China isn’t great for one’s health or freedoms.</p>

<p>I wish I lived in a walkable neighborhood, I know what you mean.</p>

<p>Bottoming? Perhaps, recovering? Not for years…though i will add i just refi’d and the bank appraiser gave an appraisal of what we paid for it in 2006 ;)…: jokingly, i said if you can find someone to buy it for that, i’ll sell it. :)</p>

<p>I think its pretty regional. My friend in DC says its picking up there, but where I live and where I am HOPEFULLY about to sell a house that has been on the market for months, it isnt true yet</p>

<p>I believe that the market will pick up a lot faster in states where they have non-judicial foreclosure vs. judicial. In some states (e.g. Florida), the foreclosure cases are going to be in the courts for years to come.</p>

<p>I love the gloom…;)</p>

<p>I sure hope so!!</p>

<p>We are selling my parents’ home this spring (getting it ready now), so we hope that the market improves (Orange County, Calif).</p>

<p>When I was in Calif in January, I was happy to see that a home on my parents’ street did sell after it had been on the market for a few months. </p>

<p>I wonder if there is a certain price range that is more likely to see a comeback? Certain size homes being more desirable? We all know that Location, Location, Location matters…but what about price and size? What are buyers looking for?</p>

<p>My parents’ home would have sold for about $1M a few years ago…now, we’re looking at much less. But, maybe with some good news, it can sell for closer to that amount? fingers crossed.</p>

<p>Hard to be disappointed about a house in that price range!</p>

<p>DC area is very strong, friends moved there recently and homes were selling in days…they had to pay near ask on a home that was listed for 2 days…well over 1 million…that said, their home in PA still languishes ,though a tad overpriced</p>

<p>Overpriced homes have a very hard time selling…</p>

<p>Buyers don’t waste time on those…</p>

<p>My ex- neighbor overpriced his house by 100,000…doesn’t sell.</p>

<p>Drops the price 100,000… It sells.</p>

<p>A friend of mine overpriced his house by 150,000…doesn’t sell…even the broker knew it was overpriced…</p>

<p>Dropped the price 150,000…sales pending.</p>

<p>In our are, No VA, the market is not turning around at all. Our neighbor who is a broker, listed his home for 850K, purchased for 1.1 in 04. Had it on the market for a month, took it off for a month and has now re-listed it for 795K. 2 weeks in, few showings, no 2nd looks, no contracts. He has an assumable 4% mtg, which is a good deal.</p>

<p>Talked to my old boss yesterday who owns a C21, and she said right now they have listings, but no buyers, and even the buyers that come in are very finicky, if they don’t find their dream homes at their price, they rent for a yr.</p>

<p>I thought No Virginia was supposed to be a good market?</p>

<p>A friend of mine has a lakehouse for sale in the midwest…</p>

<p>He has overpriced it by 25 to 33%… </p>

<p>He has a showing every 3 or 4 months…</p>

<p>A good place to check the real estate situation is on Trulia. They indicate how long a home has been on the market and whether it is a foreclosure. </p>

<p>In my neighborhood in Southern Cal, homes are not selling. My neighbor’s home that he bought 20 years ago, is listed for less than he paid. During the bubble years, 06 and 07, his home was worth twice that. (The peacock blue carpet and dated whitewashed cabinetry don’t help).</p>

<p>Wow…TatinG…that is pretty bad…</p>

<p>Does it cost more to rent than to own in your area?</p>

<p>Is the area in economic trouble?</p>