The Summer Session Program: Is it required to take French?

<p>Hey guys!</p>

<p>Alright, this is purely for my own curiosity, as I have two years left to go before I'm even applying to universities, and Yale is my #1 choice as of now.</p>

<p>But anyway, is it possible to study in Paris for the summer (The Summer Session Program, I believe it's called?) for a Yale student without having taken any sort of French in high school or during attendance there? Oh, and approximately how much would the Summer Session Program for Paris cost? And does it also apply for credits towards graduation?</p>

<p>Thank you so much for any help!</p>

<p>Not sure on costs or requirements.. but do you really want to do an internship in a country where you dont speak the language?</p>

<p>Unless you're taking a class in another country, you won't get credits that could be used towards graduation requirements. </p>

<p>As for requirements, I believe it depends on the program, but in general it makes more sense to go somewhere where you speak the language. It's an overall better experience, because it allows you to become truly fluent in the language, while also permitting you to live more like an actual citizen would and not like a typical American tourist (which, by the way, aren't too popular in France). </p>

<p>As for costs: Yale is very generous with funding for things like summer programs abroad. I know many people who have spent each summer in a different country through Yale, and they've never had to spend any of their own money to make this possible.</p>

<p>Yes it is. The Summer Session is for taking a specific class, ie like summer school in high school. So if you wanted to go to Paris to study, you could take an Elementary French class for eight weeks. For eight weeks you would get 1 1/2 credits (which is really good), because you need 3 credits of a foreign language to get your B.A or B.S at Yale, regardless of your major. The cost is$2750.00 I believe. If you qualify for financial aid at Yale, they'll also provide financial assistance for any summer session classes you may take.</p>