The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley - August CC Book Club Selection

I’m on my library’s wait list for both print (#69) and audio (#5) versions of The Immortalists. We’ll see which one comes up first.

My recent reading/listening (I have a long commute, so I do a lot of audiobooks): Eleanor Oliphant, Station Eleven for the second time, *Pym/i, *True Grit/i, and some of the Louise Penny mysteries.

Want to read soon: *The Nix, A Little Life, The Martian Chronicles, Little Fires Everywhere, Varina, The Good Thief/i, and want to finish Half of a Yellow Sun.

H/T @ignatius for cluing me in on how to italicize. ^ I got some practice in. :slight_smile:

Folks, this is eerie/amusing!

There’s an online “book club pick generator” at https://bookriot.com/2018/08/17/book-club-book-quiz/. You answer 8 questions and it suggests a book for you.

Just for kicks, I answered about us, or, me. In that I prefer fiction, longer rather than shorter, serious rather than light, don’t mind discussing the past, and we spend more time actually discussing the book than drinking wine. (Though for all we know, we’re all drinking wine as we discuss.)

So, guess what it thinks we should read? The Great Believers.

Maybe we will, next time around. If you try this out, let us know what you get.

I got Heart Berries by Mailhot. I haven’t heard of it.

The Merry Spinster: Tales of Everyday Horror - Daniel Mallory Ortberg

Gee, now I’m concerned about me. Off to take the quiz again.

I got “The Order of Time” by Carlos Rovelli

Nerd.

Okay - I got The Great Believers the second time I took the quiz, which I actually want to read. But now I’m curious about The Merry Spinster. I have nothing against horror per se, just not today.

Uh oh. I got Eloquent Rage by Brittney Cooper.

It’s about feminism, rage, etc. I have no idea what questions I answered that brought me to that book. We stay current, we discuss the book, don’t look for long books, and like to,learn new things.

https://www.amazon.com/Eloquent-Rage-Feminist-Discovers-Superpower/dp/1250112575

Huh. I think I want to read that! Thanks @bookworm :slight_smile:

I got The Great Believer.

What a fun link ! I got Eloquent Rage,too.
Thanks for posting! Great

I’m currently reading the third Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews book - urban fantasy set in Atlanta. Set in the nearish future the world alternates between tech working and magic working. They are pretty silly but fun. I’m also reading the newest set of Dresden Files short stories. Some are pretty good, though generally short stories are not my thing. Our library does a summer bingo contest. I think I can finish a row if I read a book of poetry. So I will probably do that. I can’t remember what I have left for the whole card.

Oh and I got The Great Believer too.

I got The Great Believers, too! Guess we better keep that as an option for December.

Sorry @ignatius, no do-overs. The cover of The Merry Spinster is creeeeepy.

@VeryHappy, Heart Berries sounds like a heavy, intense memoir. We’d have to steel ourselves for it.

From the NY Times review:

Sounds like The Glass Castle cubed.

I finally got around to posting a new thread for The Immortalists!

Oh I forgot, I also have on hand Catch-22. I think it’s been on my to-read list since 1972!

Currently reading “Hag-Seed” by Margaret Atwood for my Books on the Beach group. We meet on Thursday; I’m behind!

Also reading “Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death & Hope in a Mumbai Undercity” by Katherine Boo. This is for an online Book Club just started by my alma mater. Not too sure how that’s going to work out – it may take a while to catch on … (I mean, how could it ever compare to this CC Club?)

Here’s a list of campus common readings for first-year students this fall. Some we’ve discussed are here-- and there are lots of ideas!

http://commonreads.com/2018/07/30/first-year-reading-2018-campus-roundup/

I just finished reading Little Fires Everywhere and enjoyed it. I think it would make a good CC Book Club book in the future. Many themes to discuss. One flaw to me in the book but I’ll save that for future discussion. :slight_smile: