Theories to explain UCLA decisions?

<p>well, UCLA is a very strange case indeed...4.0 transfer students with all pre-reqs getting rejected....while 3.40s getting accepted...what could be the reason? the personal statement? could the adcoms be smoking marijuana?</p>

<p>without knowing what the 3.40's background, essay, etc...it would be hard to speculate.</p>

<p>I'm a 3.4 and feel like I had one of those "compelling essays" I am a first generation college student, not saying it was important but I focused on this in my essay coupled with my extreme love for my major did have a 4.0 in my major requirements, the math really brought my gpa down B's in stats and pre-calc. Also several a semester with all C's but it was my first year of college ever and showed improvement. They want to see a trend where your grades improve. Believe me I'd be the first to question the fact why 4.0 got rejected but I wouldn't hate on the person who got in with lower stats without knowing their circumstance.</p>

<p>Mex, I am also the first person in my family to go to college as well.....</p>

<p>While it is disconcerting to learn that very capable students didn't get in, you have to realize that they are looking for more than numbers, but for a certain type of student population. Read the articles on affirmative action and you will see how aggressive they are at attracting and admitting students who are not just consumers, but people who will make a difference within the community and the world in general.</p>

<p>For you to make a pejorative comment about them....doesn't really send a good message either. Perhaps they actually know what they're doing? Let them do their job and we can just sit on our own laurels for a time and soak it up.</p>

<p>I know a PolySci major with a 3.2 who got accepted to UCLA. *** X 10.</p>

<p>Yes i think grade trends are very important. My first year I had a bunch of W's, a C, and a couple B's. Since then I've gotten straight A's and no W's. Trends show progression (or regression). Adcoms know that we are human beings who go through stages in life and they take that into account.</p>

<p>I really dont think grades are all that important (in regard to A-B differences) , if they can see intellegent in essays, recs, etc what does 3 bs vs no bs show, that you put extra time into classes is all I can see. And why should they care strongly about that, it doesnt show you as a better student or a smarter indiviual. The better student is the one that has his own academic intreasts outside of school, sometimes they overlap, sometimes not. The motivation for success should not come from wanting the arbitary approval of the standerdized ranking system. I dont think you should be surprized that the 4.0s arent grantreed admissions.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I know a PolySci major with a 3.2 who got accepted to UCLA. *** X 10.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Sorry, sorry...but I'm the poli sci Nazi here. There is no major called "poly sci." It's "poli sci," because it is the study of politics, not many sciences, as "poly sci" would imply.</p>

<p>I will rid the world of that error, I swear it!</p>

<p>(Yes, I am tongue-in-cheek, so everyone just keep cool.) :p</p>

<p>an individual's GPA can be looked at in different perspectives:what kind of enviroment did this person go through in attaining whatever GPA they received? i mean someone who has a "friendly" social setting with a 4.0 gpa is going to be looked at differently than a person with a 3.4 who came who came from a harsh social setting. </p>

<p>why would it make a difference? well, the person who has recovered, bounced back from countless adversities will have a geater chance at survival. you can argue that the person with a 4.0 is more than equipped to deal with college life...but let us not dismiss the social life the encompasses a person's existence. </p>

<p>an individual who started really, really bad i.e. 6 ws, who, from then on displayed exponential academic growth--expresses what it is to be human: life is about overcoming adversities, and growing from each victory. </p>

<hr>

<p>eh, i probably did not make any sense.... ahaha ( i get that a lot from my friends at de anza)</p>

<p>anyways, i got in with a 3.4 poli sci major--it had to be the personal statement because: </p>

<p>[1] it's an impacted major
[2] my gpa is not that great
[3] i only finished 1 of my prereqs (poli 1), the rest i am taking this spring: poli 2, poli 15, and math 10</p>

<p>[4] and a bunch of other factors...</p>

<p>Wait, poli sci is impacted now? I've only been gone a quarter, and it's impacted?!</p>

<p>UCLAri-</p>

<p>Poli Sci was added to the list in november, along with english and a few others that i cant remember right now. Oh history too.</p>

<p>Sheez. That's nuts. This is what you miss when you're an upperclassman. Good luck! It's a great department!</p>

<p>My Analysis:</p>

<ul>
<li>If you do not have basic UC admission reqs like mathematics, and additional<br>
subject requirements, you are out.</li>
<li>If you haven't completed 60 semester or 90 quarter units by the end of the<br>
spring term before you transfer, you are out.</li>
<li>If you are missing English Reading and Writing 1 and 2, then you are out.</li>
<li>GPA less than 3.2, you are out.</li>
<li>Impacted majors : If your GPA is lower than 3.6, high chance of getting rej</li>
<li>If you are in an impacted major and you are missing exactly 2 or more<br>
**required<a href="clearly%20labeled%20in%20assist.org%20look%20at%20it%20carefully">/b</a> classes
then you are out.</li>
<li>Crappy essays with spelling mistakes could trigger a rejection. Also, an<br>
essay that does not show an interest in the major could trigger rejection.</li>
<li>Your community college could also be a factor. Do you guys know that half
of all the transfer students are from only 10 CCs. Itz in the UCSD
compilation I made on the BIG thread. They seem to prefer certain CCs.</li>
<li> Non-TAG students are considered after the TAG students. If your major<br>
has been filled with TAG students you might be in trouble.</li>
<li> Grade trend downwards</li>
</ul>

<p>For starters, it's true.....they favor a few schools specifcally. I commuted every day to one of them and it was so worth it. Paid off in the end.</p>

<p>Secondly, those were great comments....regarding admitting on more than just the difference of a few B's.....</p>

<p>what does it mean if a major is "impacted"?</p>

<p>Is that so...English is impacted?.....Very nice...</p>

<p>Im not applying to UCLA, but this is JMO:</p>

<p>In general, I think that if an applicant has certain basic requirements: pre-reqs, gpa around 3.0, etc., that just gets you in the door. After that, its all about the reasons a person wants to transfer. I think writing an admissions essay the way you would write one if you were applying for freshman year is a mistake. Before they wanted to see what your personality was like, now adcoms want to know what you are like after having the chance to further develope your interests.</p>

<p>Meaning, writing an essay on how The Fountainhead changed your life is fine, but what seems to be better is saying, you read the book, became interested in philosophy, and are now looking to expand your horizons in a bigger/better department. </p>

<p>Also, I think there are a LOT of people who want to transfer on prestige alone, and that attitute probably permeates their applications. Unless your social life is extremely pitiful, or something really horrible happened at your school (like having a stalker who tried to kill you or some randomness) I personally believe adcoms are more likely to reject you. Regardless of stats.</p>

<p>I also agree with geexer. I actually AM trying to transfer from a very good university to an Ivy... but my reasons are BOTH academic and social. Especially with all the racist crap I have to deal with on this campus at least twice a month. SO... I am in a hostile environment socially and a stifling one academically. But my GPA isnt anywhere near a 4.0... </p>

<p>I wonder how ****ed people would be if I got in...</p>

<p>BruinMichelle, which schools do they favor?</p>

<p>ALthough GPA is VERY important. ECs and PS are probably extremely important in their decisions. They like to kno that you are a well rounded student and also that you if they accept you, you will be able to handle the load.</p>

<p>I heard each school favors students who attend a nearby community college. I knew a guy who moved back up to norcal (from orange county) just to help his chances at getting into Cal.</p>